Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 gal vert Door Setup?
I am fixin to turn one of my old 10s up on its side for my Basti and wanted the know the easiest way to make a FF proof door for it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a pretty crafty guy but I figgerd it's been done already and there must be a trick to it.
Thank you in advance.
Your pal,
Eric
8)
ok here is how I do it. After you get your glass cut. Get pieces that are about a half inch wide cut to the same lengths as your top bottom and side of the door. Then just silicone or cement those pieces of glass onto the inside of your glass door to the corresponding sides and make sure you position them so that half of the glass strips are on the door and the other half is over the edge. That way when you close your door those strips will cover the cracks of the door cut. Hope this helps, hard to explain with no pictures.

James
Thanks I think I have an idea of what yer tryin to say. Now do you use glass glass or plexiglas?
I was brainstormin lastnight and was coming up with a few ideas of my own involving pexiglass.
Peas.

E
I personally used plexi. Just seems safer to me.

James
[Image: 10_vert.jpg]

I just carefully cut off the tank rims and get 3/16" thick glass cut to fit the lid adding a screen on the top.

rob
wow that looks really nice. Is there no plastic top part left on the tank before you installed the door? How did you make the screen part?
Thanks for the photo.
All of the black plastic is removed as I think it detracts from the viewing. The screen part is made from pieces purchased at Lowe's for normal screen window kits. I have 8 tanks like this in a wooden rack with CF lights, misting and drains.

[Image: rack_complete.jpg]

rob
Your Display looks incredible. Nicely done.
Thanks so much for the info,Rob.
Peace.
Eric
The Cocoa puffs in your tanks look delicious too.
I'm Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!
What type of hinge are you using on that?
I don't know what Rob used, but I just used a lucite door with a piano hinge screwed into.
I like your name coolhand leuc. haha.

Eric
I used 12" acrylic piano hinges, cut them down to 10" then siliconed them onto the 3/16" glass.

Rob
Rob,

Thats truly an awsome unit! do you have any plans drawn to make it?would like to do something simular but on a larger scale.

(in the progress of finding a house with a basment worthy of a frog room)
I drew up the plans myself, basing them around the 10 gallon tank with the vert orientation. Thanks for the great comments. When I do move I plan to build another one for larger tanks.

Rob

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020