Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40b vert conversion -pics
Hello friends. I am a few steps in to my 40 gallon breeder that will be a vert. Moving along slowly but getting kind of excited how it's looking. I still need to add a couple accents and vines. I'm uncertain as to use hygrolon for the gaps in between the cork or live moss and just basic substrate. I plan on housing some thumbs! Not sure which kind yet. Prob won't be until late summer. Thoughts, opinions, criticism welcomed!
Like Reply
Nice work Chris! I like how you wrapped the sides - it should provide for some dramatic depth. What kind of doors are you planning? Looking forward to seeing how this develops!
Jim from Austin --- Lorenzo keepers PM me about a US breeding program
lorenzo | nominant fants | highlands | summersi | bakhuis | azureus

http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs
Like Reply
Thank you jim! Basically just a solid piece of glass. And probably have it open up like a cabinet. Although I am a little worried, the piece seems kinda heavy. Thank you, I will post pics after I do some work to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like Reply
You could trying hitting up Casper for some ideas and some vented track for sliding doors. That may help solve the weight issue and give you a nice slimline set of top and bottom vents. The thumbs you put in there should love all that climbing space!

Like Reply
It's a very nice looking viv so far!
Glenn
Like Reply
Thank you frogfreak!

Well jim, I made the mistake of ordering pieces of glass already. I may have to bite the bullet and get two new pieces so instead of a larger heavy piece. My girlfriend doesn't think it's heavy. I'm worried when I install it, open it and the hinges do their job, that the glass will be too heavy. I guess it'll be a experiment.

I made some ledges and "steps" kind of like you do. I think once I add substrate and plants you'll really be able to notice the depth. It should be tons of fun for the thumbs, tons of room! How many would you put in one of the 40 verts?

Like Reply
I'd ask a thumb guy Smile I'm mostly into big frogs so that would be a different answer from me compared to a smaller thumb. I'd ask the breeder/hobbyist you are buying from to see what their experiences are. Is there are particular thumb you are considering?

Like Reply
True. Wasn't sure if you had a idea. I'll prob get in touch with brad after the tanks planted and establishing. Not sure which one, I know I want some sweet looking ones Smile

Like Reply
I have a few updated pictures to share. They are not that clear, sorry. It's turning out okay.
Like Reply
I think it's turning out really well Chris! I like the depth you created by wrapping the sides. Looking forward to the next update!

Like Reply
Hey Chris, tank is looking good. From the pic, looks like your using water pumps? I would make sure you can access your them. They can and do often fail. They could last few weeks or a few years. I would also consider putting hydroton under the false bottom, that makes a huge difference in removing any odor from the water. I originally made my setups like yours, then last year rebuilt them all by tearing out the front wall of egg crate so it remains as platform, then fill bottom w hydroton. You could keep 4-7 thumbnail frogs in this tank, but I would keep no more than 2 males. I would prob start w a group of 5, then as they mature, weed out excess males. If they tank raise young, you have room to allow grow out if you want. You might add a small branch or two as an outcrop, but not higher than mid level, as will avoid cutting off light as viv grows out over years.

Again nice work!
Scott - North Dallas
Like Reply
Unfortunately I did use a water pump. I told myself it was the last time. After I did a test run, I thought to myself, why did I use a pump. It never turns out how you imagine it, like some sweet little brook traveling down hill in a rainforest ya know?! I used LDL from NEHERP under the egg crate. What's hydroton, similar product? I think tank raising young would be soooo cool!

Like Reply
And I have a couple plans for branches and what not. But that'll all be added when I add plants and substrate.

Thank you sir! I appreciate the feedback and comments Scott!

Like Reply
I'm afraid my door idea will not work. I might have to get a couple new pieces of glass. Who's Casper and does he do awesome stuff with doors? I'm trying not to stress over this and search threads and get ideas.

Like Reply
I'm not too happy with the plant selection. I saw all my peperomias and some other plants died off. My greenhouse was too hot, ha oops. So I may change some stuff. Going to try and find a few small pup broms to toss in there. I also am going to make a small "root" section giving easier access up the walls. Here's a pic of it set up basically. I wish you could tell the depth and the details. The screen at the bottom restricts that view. The door did not come out as planned so I had to improv. However, it works. Here she is, for now until I had add those few things.
Like Reply
Like it!
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Like Reply
Thank you buddy! I'll try to get some better pics this week.
Like Reply
Looks great Chris, should grow in nicely.
brad
Like Reply
Good job Chris, any frog would be happy in that viv.
Scott - North Dallas
Like Reply
IDPM Wrote:Looks great Chris, should grow in nicely.
Thank you! I really hope so. I'm worried it won't haha.
Like Reply