Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Academy of Science, San Francisco
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Academy of Science, San Francisco
So I visited the academy of Science the other day cause some one told me they had PDF's, they did indeed. The thing is they had Azureus, Auratus and what looked like a Pumillo all sharing one tank. The tank was about 4' wide 2feet tall and I'm guessing 2.5' deep. Lots of cover, coco huts and plenty of broms in a terrestrial set up.
Now from reading these forums I have been under the impression that mixing species is bad. Yet here was a tank with at least 7 Auratus, 3 Azureus, and one little red guy. They were all active and happily cohabitating. There did not appear to be any mixed breeds going on and the Academy has a reputation of sound ecological care and husbandry practices. Sadly the person who is the resident frog expert was not available to answer my questions concerning this.
I would love it if someone could shed some light on this for me. Is there a way to succesfully mingle species without causing genetic mishaps?
Short answer from one not in the zoo, museum, or extreme newbie field is... NO. The scientists should do some research. The tank could have been 20'x40' and my answer would be the same. NEVER a good idea . Period. Bad, bad husbandry.
Sorry to come off a bit harsh but after reading a similar post/posts on Frognet from a doctor who was nicely told that mixing was bad and needed to change her setup only to respond (nicely) that she would be adding more frogs to her collection and the mix WELL before she had her present collection under control I am a bit peeved.
Two of the mentioned species will hybridize. All can fight . None will live a "happy" life compared to what those in the hobby who preach not mixing can and do provide.
It has alway been the first goal of many zoos and/or public displays to provide a nice bright colorful mixed species tank to draw people in to all the pretty colors. Not the way the hobby should or will evolve .

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020