Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Advice please, so I can plan future frog purchase
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice please, so I can plan future frog purchase
I have pretty much decided on Tincs for my first frogs, thinking Suriname Cobalts. I like the yellow, black, and bright blue colors Smile Other morph suggestions are welcome too. I do prefer the bright blue over the light/powder blue as far as color goes.

So I'm looking for some tips/advice for my future frog purchase. I will, of course talk with whomever I get frogs from, but I like to have a general idea at least, in advance, and more than just the seller's thoughts on the subject. As well as have the info I need to start gathering the appropriate containers and materials. Keep in mind I would like to eventually try breeding.

Since it seems to be the most common, and I'd love to watch them grow up, I would like to start with froglets if that is an ok idea for a novice?

I realize, to get an eventual pair, the more (unsexed) individuals I can get, the better the odds. (how many would you suggest?) Would it be recommended to buy a group all at once, or a couple here, and unrelated couple elsewhere in hopes of getting an unrelated pair when they're grown?

This brings up other questions too. in reading, I gather that froglets are raised to a certain age/size/maturity in smaller size containers than my viv (beyond just the QT period I mean) and that they are commonly raised in groups (does this depend on morph or species etc? Some things I read seemed to hint at this.) With a close eye that everyone is getting enough food. Plenty of things for visual barriers etc.
So, can you give me a ballpark idea of how many (Tincs) froglets or juveniles etc. 1)should be kept together, 2) until what point? and 3) what type/size container you are talking about keeping them in?
I see posts saying sweater boxes (I don't know exactly what size that is) but haven't found one that specified how many in that size for example.
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
I purchased 3 Tinc. 'Patricia' froglets and I am currently raising them to adulthood, hoping for a pair. Doing the same with 3 Cobalts. I recently purchased some tadpoles to raise them as well.

I am also fairly new so I would also like some clarification on what age you separate and how many can be kept together for how long.
Most breeders recommend WELL started froglets for beginners, that is, not right out-of-the-water. Froglets that are at least several weeks to a month old and well started with supplements and feeding on larger FF items.

Larger frogs are recommended as well....the smaller the size, the quicker they can go downhill if something is wrong in their care regime by the inexperienced owner.

3-4 froglets can easily be keep together but always watch them carefully at feeding time to make sure all are feeding with equal gusto and frequency.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thank you Phil,
Could you clarify, when you say the 3-4 froglets, what size container do you have in mind?
For example, would one of those "heart attack" ones be adequate? If so, until what stage? or are we talking the big 56 qt Sterilite type

Would you put them all in the viv, then reduce the number to 2 at a certain stage? (1 pair is all that my viv will accommodate.) Or grow them out in the separate container and introduce them to the viv when you have identified a pair?
Lisa
In central NY

Go to Kmart or Walmart and buy one of those large plastic tote bins. Don't get the kind with the airtight locking gasket lids. Sweater box size or even a little larger. The larger the better. Yeah....forget about those goofy round 190 oz heart attack tubs.

Grow them all out together and keep or trade / transfer one or 2 if the mood strikes you. Breeding from the froglet size is WAY down the line - sometimes over 1.5 years, so if breeding them is in your immediate interests, maybe you should buy a proven pair of adults ? 1 to 2 years is a long time to wait for sexual maturity and them getting along and breeding.

or you could do what many hobbyists do....both. Get some froglets now and eventually - maybe a few months down the road....get a sexed or proven pair of some other species.

Ok, that clarifies a lot, since I have so much basic information to learn, I had barely dabbled into reading anything on breeding, so that info is great. I don't really think of breeding as an immediate interest. I have a lot to be sure I know before that, but it is something I would like to do at some point.
If I can find any available when I'm ready, I'll certainly go with the older frogs, if only for the sake of them being less delicate.
Lisa
In central NY

Froglet size is also dependant on breeder. Most online retailers want the froglet to be about an inch in size before shipping. At a reptile show I saw one breeder selling froglets that were recently out of water but everyone I've talked to recommends a couple weeks out of water. Some places even sell larger juveniles, like saurian.
I am a newb, and bought my Cobalts about 6 months ago. I got them from an experienced breeder, and he didn't promise anything, but with these they commonly have 'bracelets' (lighter blue wrists on front legs) on the males even when very young. As they have been growing, I am confident he got me 2 males and a female since the front pads on the frogs he thought may be males are getting quite larger then the 1 suspected female (solid blue wrists), and the 'bracelets' are getting more pronounced. My froglets were about 3 months old when I got them and I qt'd them for about 35 days then straight to the viv. They are doing great now. I did notice a bit of stress when I put them in their final home, they weren't interested in food for about 1.5 days, but they were hunting the microfauna. Over all they have been very simple to care for and a great beginner frog for me. I have them in a 20g high (3 frogs). I went with the 5 gallons per frog rule, and they have plenty of room to avoid each other, but there has been no bickering between them to this point, but they are not to maturity yet, so I can't say with certainty that this will always be the case.

Just thought I would share my experience so far. More experienced froggers will be able to confirm or de-bunk my statemets here hehe, but hope it may help a bit. I love my cobalts and have been more than satisfied with my choice. I figure I have a 50/50 shot of getting them to pair up in the future, but won't be to put out if not. When I want to start breeding, I will spend the money on a proven pair to be honest. Seems well worth it in the long run.
2.1.0 Cobalt
1.1.0 Aurotaenia
Thanks love_chariot & cablemandan, I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this! Interesting on the wrist-lets, I wonder how often that proves to be true.
Lisa
In central NY

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020