Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Anyone fed silkworms to frogs? Here's why I'm trying them...
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone fed silkworms to frogs? Here's why I'm trying them...
I ordered a batch of eggs and mulched mulberry leaves from The Silkworm Shop, a.k.a. www.buyfruitflies.com. I think they'd be a better choice than flies b/c they are more hygenic, higher in protein, they don't make a nasty stink and they don't eat wet media, which decays and molds, etc. I just haven't seen any threads lately on them, so I want to see if anyone's had previous experience with them. I've kept them before---they're very soft and smell funny, but don't stink.
Anybody?...ECHO....ECHO......echo...........echo
My brother and a couple friends tried them. Major, major pain in the butt to do. Great nutrition for the larger frogs (I think you have imis?) but judging from their attempts I don't think I would stick with it as a regular thing.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
RichFrye Wrote:My brother and a couple friends tried them. Major, major pain in the butt to do. Great nutrition for the larger frogs (I think you have imis?) but judging from their attempts I don't think I would stick with it as a regular thing.

Rich

Yeah, it's me with the D. Imitators. I'm going to see how it goes and get back with you all on the worms. I have raised them before and it's neat to watch the life cycle, but it takes them much longer to morph than the fruit flies, which I'm guessing was part of your 'major pain in the butt'. Did you happen to run into any other problems? You seem to suggest that the frogs attempted to eat them but had trouble. I know only the smallest larvae are suitable for feeding to imis.

I do have a good fruit fly culture going that is now hatching, so I've got a fall back.
UPDATE---I have found that it's not hard to raise them as long as you don't put a lid on the container and make sure food stays moist daily if you're using prepared food and if using fresh mulberry leaves, that the leaves are not dried out. Otherwise, aside from shaking worm poop to the bottom of the tray, they're relatively clean creatures, there's no mold issues if raised without a lid and they're more nutritious than FFs. I'll keep raising them---I've had good success so far. Mine have just made their cocoons and are ready to morph in a week or so.
I have used silk worms in the past. Leucomelas love them!
We have found silworms to be a great feeder. From what we have noticed, our Tincs don't seem to like them as much though.
Do the imitators take them?
We have had adult thumbnails take them, including standard imis. As the Silkworms wiggle their heads around quite a lot they seem to be quite appealing to the frogs.
How big are the silkies that you are feeding? I have never hatched them from eggs before, but have bought the smallest size to grow for my bearded dragon and you're right...they are the easiest and cleanest feeders to have around!
They are very tiny when they hach out. Would say 2-3mm in length.
Ah ok...how do you hatch them?
We order ours in eggs form from a supplier. All that is required to hatch them within about a week of them arriving is to store them around 80F or so. Then, when they hatch it is best to keep them at that same temp until they are around 2 weeks hatched where they can then be kept at a lower room temp if you prefer. Be sure once they hatch that they always have fresh food, in way of mulberry leaves or silkworm chow.

Hope this answers some questions. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and we will try to answer it for you.
Thanks! Will have to give that a try sometime! They are neat creatures!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020