Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Bad/Infertile eggs...to remove or not
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad/Infertile eggs...to remove or not
We have our first eggs 8) ha but some are definitly infertile,so do i remove them or not....and if so how? I have hope that our tannin rich oak leaf tad tea(no time to sort anything else such as almond leaves) will help surpress moulds,but should i move or just wait?
I usually remove any bad eggs. I have an oversized eye dropper, I actually think it is a feeder dropper, that the tip opening is just about the same size as most eggs that I fit around the bad egg and just suck it up.
Good luck with the rest of the clutch.
Cindy Dicken Wrote:I usually remove any bad eggs. I have an oversized eye dropper, I actually think it is a feeder dropper, that the tip opening is just about the same size as most eggs that I fit around the bad egg and just suck it up.
Good luck with the rest of the clutch.
Thanks Cindy,do you mean something like a turkey baster(uk and american english still have ambiguities)? It really looks like there is something amiss that i think is spreading.I am total beginner,with first 2 clutches on his hands...trying to remember all that he learnt as a boy rearing natives erm 30 plus years ago!! I reckon i am down to 3 good from 9,so things don't look to promising. On a positive note the other older clutch looks good with one possible wrong un although it has developed,its shape is very different,the first tad actually hatched this afternoon spent some time on its side and is now the right way up and away from the rest,ahh mate this miracle is still as good as when i was little!!
How long will they be digesting yolk,its then whem i'll have to split them and start feeding?
Cindy thanks so much your quick reponse might just save the 3 remaining eggs,which have just today got that little line across the top
thankyou
Stu
Yes, basically a turkey baster, but the one I have is ony a 6 inches total length so it is a little easier to handle/manuver.
With the first clutch(s) of eggs, it is not uncommon for them to go bad.

Which frogs are these eggs from?

Glad to help!
Cindy Dicken Wrote:Yes, basically a turkey baster, but the one I have is only a 6 inches total length so it is a little easier to handle/maneuver.
With the first clutch(s) of eggs, it is not uncommon for them to go bad.

Which frogs are these eggs from?

Glad to help!
Thanks Cindy after i replied we ran off and split 5 away,we have kept them in a separate glass(beginners optimism!!),i don't think our turkey baster would have done it,too unruly,so we used a plastic spoon and a plant ladle,and i tried real hard not to change the orientation of the eggs,line up,you understand. We have had 3 clutches,first very dirty but no embryos that we can see,second just hatching,third just dealt with.If i am totally honest we are over the moon,they are superblue auratus, erm bought as camos...lmao...Mark Pepper bred them and put me straight. i don't think there are many others here in England at all.We have 3 Cindy,so just to have a boy and a girl is fantastic,for the second clutch to be fertile unbelievable(i thought this would all take much longer),Zorro our male is the only one we really see but "the dark one"(said in a very deep voice lol) is just starting to come out,the third we have only seen 3 times ha the last was in the film can,the day before eggs,bet she laid them.Funnily enough Zorro is much larger than the other two,he is as fit and strong as one could want...super sharp when hunting,and looks like he's good at other things too!!There are some pics on the frogroom section.
We have gone real slow and thorough at this ,we are in it for the long haul,its almost exactly 2 years since we started and have only had frogs since 25 Feb. Its like a vindication that we are on the right track,we are both chuffed to bits,and our Leucs are calling hard and the Mysties,so i have really got to get my act together.
thanks so so much for the wise words
regards
Stu
The red plastic "slurpee" straw...FREE from 7-11 min marts, makes a great tool / scalpel for removing eggs - both bad and good. The plastic is flexible enough to bend and strong enough to cut and lift.

It's a great tool to have in da frog room.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:The red plastic "slurpee" straw...FREE from 7-11 min marts, makes a great tool / scapel for removing eggs - both bad and good. The plastic is flexible enough to bend and strong enough to cut and lift.

It's a great tool to have in da frog room.
Ha tis wonderful talking to you guys Phil,I don't even know what a mini mart is or a slurpee straw but i have good ideas !! Even so tis a great post and thanks.Things are moving so fast here that eventually i plucked up courage and ran with Cindy's advice,i wouldn't call myself expert at it yet but its amazing how quick you learn when one absolutly has too,
Thanks buddy you and your site ROCK
i'm even able to tell mates to come here and you guys don't let me down !!!!
goodonya mate
highest regards
Stu
[Image: slurpee-drinks.jpg]

[Image: spoon%20straw.jpg]
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:[Image: slurpee-drinks.jpg]

[Image: spoon%20straw.jpg]
cool we'll find and try em
see what i mean as above
cheers
Stu

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020