Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Best" Fruit Fly as a Feeder ?
Is there a nutritional "best" fruit fly species out there, or are they pretty much all the same ?

I have no idea what the LPS sold me, so if I were to shop for cultures, what should I be looking for ? I am a new hobbyist feeding an auratus.
if you are new to the hobby....the BEST fly to culture is Melanogaster. Easy, predictable and high yields. Perfect.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:if you are new to the hobby....the BEST fly to culture is Melanogaster. Easy, predictable and high yields. Perfect.
mmmmm melanogaster. :lol:

Some types of melanogaster to look out for: Curly Wing (my favourite) and Turkish Glider (very prolific).
Mike
-- Google is nifty. Please use it BEFORE getting a pet. --
What is it you like about the curly wing? I have always used wingless and never tried these.
Scott Bryant
boombotty Wrote:What is it you like about the curly wing? I have always used wingless and never tried these.

I find their 'curly' wings hold a bit more supplements than other flies. Once they are done grooming the powder off themselves, they still a have a bunch stuck in the 'curls' of their wings.
Mike
-- Google is nifty. Please use it BEFORE getting a pet. --
I would say flightless, or wingless melanogaster for sure, just like Phil said. Assuming you are new, the best thing to do is use several different feeder insects. It may sound difficult but some are very easy and very cheap to produce.

Springtails are very easy to keep and can produce big yields if you have several cultures going at once. They also have additional benefits for your viv such as helping to eat decaying material. Another fairly easy one is isopods which also offer great benefits to your viv as well. Additional food sources also help to add variety to your frogs diet and help them maintain better balance.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020