Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breeding Question - Eggs first ?
Hi All,

I have read conflicting information, and am hoping to clear it up. Which comes first, the eggs or the sperm? Who lays the jelly, the male or the female? Who does what first, and second? I don't know if it's the same for all pdf's, but I am asking about non-pumilio, just the regular frogs, D. Tincs, leucs, cobalts and azureus, and P. vittatus.

I always used to read that eggs were laid first, then fertilized. Then someone said that the males lay the jelly first, then females lay the eggs on top.

I'd like to know which it is! Anyone know?

Thanks,
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
The jelly mass comes from the female, which is why sans-male you will see the jelly mass on an unfertilized clutch.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Thank you, Rich.
Does the female always lay the jelly/eggs first, then the male fertilizes?
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
DianeCarter Wrote:Thank you, Rich.
Does the female always lay the jelly/eggs first, then the male fertilizes?

Diane, I can't say with certainty that there are not males that have a 'hair trigger', but generally I'd say the vast majority of the time eggs then sperm.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Thanks!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020