Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling Leucomelas
I played some calling for my leucs today. One reacted to the call and came hopping over to the headphone I slipped into the viv. He then started what I can only call vibrating, and calling back. The other 2 leucs didn't react.
I thought I'd captured it on video- but instead I captured the carpet before and after!

So, is it normal for a Leuc to shake/vibrate when they call? Should the other frogs have reacted in any way?
My 2 male epipedobates tricolor look like they are going to shake themselves off the rock that they are on, when they call, at times.

Shaking while calling is normal, I would say.

As to reactions to recorded calls. I have done it many times with many species / calls and it seems that my Leucs are the most prone to react to a recorded call - with either counter calling or general interest.

That said, unless you get an actual call out of one of them, I would still place no credence into a possible sexing effort from a recording. Submissive males that don't call, stress - too many other things involved to try to guess.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Got it. I'll keep an eye on them more then to see if I am able to visualize either of the other frogs calling.
Luckily the markings on the leucs are very different- so I know which one was calling.
It's still good to know for sure that there is one male in there. My azureus have still not shown any breeding activity- and I've not seen one calling.
I just played some calling tonight in my frog room. Male SI is REALLY calling now. No real reaction out of my leucomelas or azureus. I got some interest out of my Tarapota and Vents.
Dendrobates, Phyllobates, Rantiomeya, Epipedobates
Don
I noticed one of my azureus rubbing the back of another. But I didn't witness any calling yet. My husband made the comment last night that he finds it funny that my first frogs havent started breeding, yet the imis are. I had to explain that different frogs have different sexual maturity ages
I just heard my Uakarii, figures the boys would be awake so I cant get a video though. its funny, I purchased the Benedicta, Reticulata and Uakarii at the same time and all 3 have similar sounding calls (at least from the one recording of benedicta that I have heard) at the time of purchase this was not my intention.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
I hadn't really thought about breeding the frogs I got until my Azureus were 9 months old. Then I got curious about it. I'm very big on documentation, and think it would be great if I do end up with pairs, just so I can do photographs of each species eggs/tadpole development. I'm just happy I haven't seen any aggression with the frogs to this point!

I bet your house really sounds like a rainforest with all the calling!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020