Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D3monic's super build thread
Finally got a few of my orders in today!

Ghost wood from save on crafts

[Image: IMG_0936.jpg]

I had to relocate my PC up to the bedroom to make room for the new rack. Ordered a laptop to use while I am chilling in the den. Didn't realize just how BIG a 17.3" Monitor is! That tiny thing sitting on it is my cell phone!

[Image: IMG_0939.jpg]

Got some awesome broms in today from bricespice. I especially love the large on and the one with splashes of yellow on it Big Grin

I got them chilling in the tadpole bin until the tanks are done.

[Image: IMG_0937.jpg]

Drilled the three tanks that I currently have. Of course using playdo since thats whats handy Cool

[Image: IMG_0944.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0946.jpg]

Bulkheads and strainers from www.glassholes.com installed

[Image: IMG_0949.jpg]

And now its a waiting game. My replacement order from Firstrays will hopefully be here tomorrow so I can start putting these bad boys together!
No sign of my misting nozzles. Don't remember if canadian post sent me tracking info or not but I could not find a email on it.

Unrelated but this poor lady sure could use a man.

[Image: IMG_0935.jpg]

Thats it for today...off to bed
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Looking Good Mike.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thanks, I have started the builds today. The Retic tank will be all EpiWeb with a tiny bit of GS work. The large Benedicta tank will be a large cork piece with a mix of EpiWeb and GS....not sure how well this will work but will see. According to dendrobates.org they are primarily arboreal but so far they have not left the leaf litter in their QT while the retics are doing alot of climbing.... Hope they end up utilizing the space.

The Uakarii 18 cube I have decided to try my hand at clay, have you ever worked with clay? Just how wet do I need to keep it once its done? Last thing I want is for it to dry out and fall on my frogs. I usually mist twice a day for about 10-15 seconds.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Well the clay work on the 18 cube is done. Was pretty easy and some what fun I guess.

Mixed Dr Elseys precious cat Ultra with some eco earth, long spagnum and live temperate moss (that probably won't last long) I will probably spread some Kyoto moss spores on it as well....since they have yet to grow any where else for me.

[Image: IMG_0972.jpg]

and here is the finished background, no sense in putting alot of work into it if it will be covered in plants.

[Image: IMG_0974.jpg]

The other two tanks are still under construction as it takes longer for Great Stuff and GE Silicone II to dry.

[Image: IMG_0967.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0969.jpg]
Very nice Mike.

I'm a fan of the 3/4 wall wrap as well. My buddy Steve (Soundrive) used to do all of his Verts with a complete / full 3 side enclosure - looked like a shadow box to peer into. The added side hardscaping is important IMO and certainly extends the working or "living" space of the frogs.

Stuff weighs a lot huh?

Clay and any organic background is the new wave of Viv building. We are gonna see less and less Great Stuff unless it's to make boulders or protrusions ect. You're gonna be suprised by the microfauna that will live and breed in the background too. Also plants - ferns and stuff will pop out of the Spagnum husks when it starts to regenerate with good lighting and moisture. Very cool things will literally grow on it and out of it.

I like the 3/4 wall as it gives more demension. that and it leaves me a place to stick film cans to Wink

I really need some more plants. I should have a plant pack arriving from Chuck (manuran) any day now. Shipped a few days ago he said.
Well I got one of my plant packages in today and got the vivs planted. Still need to add alot to the backgrounds and get some more orchids.

Reticulata viv

[Image: IMG_0980.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0985.jpg]

Uakarii

[Image: IMG_0982.jpg]

Benedicta

[Image: IMG_0983.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0984.jpg]

I might move some stuff around. Just wanted to get everything into a viv so it wouldn't die on me.
Nice !!

Awesome!

BTW- I just finally read through the thread, and not to hijack- but I totally forgot about this board Smile I promise I'll try and post more!
Those look GOOD!
Need a Website? PM Me for more information.

Recent Hobby Clients - DartDen.com, Rainforestherps.com
Great build thread!

I picked up the same lights for my rack. Perhaps I missed it but, are you running two fixtures per shelf? It almost looks like it from the pics, but not sure. I went with one per and I am not sure I have enough. :?:

The signs / tags look very sweet as well. Enjoyed the read very much. Following along from here. 8)
0.0.2- Varadero-- 0.0.2 Amazonicus Red-- 0.0.3 Tarapota
If your feelin' froggy...

--Richie
yea, I used two per shelf. That way I could get even coverage. One seems just too dim.

You should start a thread showing off your set up.
I totally forgot about this green house by my work. They neglect their tropical section but I still ended up with a few nice scores. Pots where around $3-4 each.

[Image: IMG_1000.jpg]

I absolutly loved these, I don't remember their scientific name. I will have to go dig their tags out of the trash.

[Image: IMG_1001.jpg]

Hopefully this begonia stays small. I am tired of them growing to gargantian sizes and over running my tanks.

[Image: IMG_1002.jpg]

Two nice big pot fulls of peperomia

[Image: IMG_1003.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1004.jpg]

This one has a nice blue irredecence to it

[Image: IMG_1005.jpg]

picked up a few red earth stars as well....looks like they decided to pot them individually instead of me digging through their trash bin.

[Image: IMG_1007.jpg]

I got this begonia and then remembered that it gets really big. Looks like its going in the garden.

[Image: IMG_1006.jpg]
great plant selection! I always hit up our local nursery when they get in new plants. Can't wait to see them all in the viv's!
on a side note. I was getting ready to toss what I thought was a failed moss slurry experiment when I noticed that I finally had new growth!

[Image: IMG_0995.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0997.jpg]

Complete randomness from the new vivs

[Image: IMG_0998.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0990.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0989.jpg]
Really Good pics, Mike.

Please hit up a thread on the Photography subforum on your body and lens specs when you get a chance.

I'm sure a lot of subscribed members are wondering about your equiptment.

Vivs look great Mike......Plants are nice as well....Can't wait to hit some the local nurseries once they start getting all the stuff in.....
I really like the layout of your retic viv, they should be some happy (and hopefully prolific) frogs in there.
Scott Bryant
Thanks, me too. I still need to coat the background in creeping fig (even if it is the ugly varrigated kind) and plants some more stuff. I added a red star to the background and that cool looking spotted plant. When rinsing the dirt off the roots I discovered each leaf sprouts up from a small bulb. I had lots of bulbs. I tossed a few in each tank to get them started. I was told it should not get much taller than that so i am excited about it.
Ok, I think I am done planting this tank....maybe

[Image: IMG_1022.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1019.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1018.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1017.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1015.jpg]

Is it just me or does the benedicta tank look ...well, off?

[Image: IMG_1024.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1025.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1026.jpg]

I still have a 40 brom pack coming..maybe so there will be a lot more broms going into here.

Ohh and this is the first time I have seen this Uakarii since I put it in QT so I had to snap a pic.

[Image: IMG_1023.jpg]

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020