Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dart frog with bad aim / tongue
I have a male Saul Tinc. and it takes him 4 or 5 shots with his tongue to catch a single fly. I put him in a smaller tank and upped the amount of flies in the tank. He's catching them on the first or second try now so hes doing much better. I was just wondering if anyone had anyone experience with this happening. I was thinking that maybe he injured his eye or had an infection or something along those lines. any ideas ?

P.S. hes all better now, he is breeding regularly.

Rih
I think some are just better then others at their aim. I had a red eye tree frog that could not hardly catch a cricket. He was smaller and very clumbsey. I have a dart also that is not to good with eating. Good thing these frogs are not in the wild, they might have a hard time catching enough too eat.

Mike
There have been a number of discussions on frogs not being able to get the FFs to 'stick' to their tongues. If I remember correctly, much of it is supposedly due to supplemental deficiencies.
What do you supplement with?

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Rich,

I have two tincs and one is a much better hunter then the other, usually gets the FF on the first shot. They both get the same supplements so it seems unlikely, at least in my case, that the problem is related to a supplement.

Mike
When they are young froglets their nutrition is super important. Many breeders raise communally (almost herd-like) and some froglets do not get the same nutrients or amounts as others. If one is lacking when very young it could present a problem later in life.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
i supplement with Rep-Cal multivitamins and the Calcium with Vit D3, i bought him as a sub adult so im not sure what or if he was supplemented when he was a froglet.

Rih
"Bad aim", clumsiness and sticky (non) or "short" tongue is product of poor nutrition and husbandry IMO.

All supplements are not equal. Some are much better than others. Supplemental superfine powders also lose their potency at different rates depending on a lot of factors, one of which is where they are stored - if supplements (containers) are subjected to high heat or humidity will cause them to lose their effectiveness quickly, for instance.

When something like bad aim or sticky tongue occurs, buying brand new supplements is a very easy, reasonable and inexpensive quick first step to take. Throw out the old supplements. Contacting a Vet is always prudent as well.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
If i'm understanding correctly vitamin A deficiency is the reason they loose their elasticity in their tongues. They actually don't loose their tongues. Just the stretchiness if it. I have a problem/question. I have two sipaliwini males. They were bought as a pair. They were both healthy and fine and both would shoot fine. Now one seems to be getting thinner and while i fed i noticed he has no tongue on his shots. This at least shows us that it wasn't a genetic defect as he was fine before. He was on a diet of lots of crickets. Now hes mostly on fruit flies. My question is since vitamin A is fish oil derived. How do i get him to eat it? I cant coat anything with it because it is quite thick. I have been using rep cal multivitamin since i got him, but its obviously not working. Any suggestions? Force feeding is my last resort. I find it freaks them out pretty bad. Also remember that since he already has a short tongue he wont be able to handle larger faster prey.
I was thinking of feeding some fruit fly worms a mix if carrots and the fish oil with their usual culture and hope that infuses them with "extra" vitamin A?
A person trying to feed tincs crickets exclusively, is someone who does not know what they are doing. They almost always fail to use correct supplementation as well, since they are using an incorrect food source. So yes...you have a real problem on your hands with nutrient deficient and damaged frogs.

Ditch the crickets entirely and get them on properly dusted FF. Forget about trying fish oil or anything else at this point.

Buy this product ASAP:

http://www.store.repashy.com/vitamin-a-plus.html

Also consider using at least 2 other superfine powder vitamins. Nekton Rep is a really good German vitamin and can be found in the U.S with a google search and even on eBay. Rotation of 2-3 different FRESH vitamins is best practice.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Great. Thank you for a quick response.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020