Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Dendrobates leucomelas maturity questions
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dendrobates leucomelas maturity questions
When do leucs reach breeding age?

Is it different for males and females?

How long after calling starts is a male capable of fertilising eggs?

Of course i am not expecting exact ages but a rough idea would be great.

Thanks all,
Stu
@ 8 months to a year. 1 year plus is more the average.

Yes...one of the sexes matures quicker than the other, I have heard.

Calling seems to signal the start of breeding, egg laying.

Leucs are "seasonal" and may only breed for the hotter, wetter half of the year. Mine "shut down all winter" for example.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Ha England mate ! When its meant to be hot, it rains. We'll see on this, then mine are still to young yet (but we have at least 2 males calling) but they are closing down on this.

Thanks again, very greatful
Stu
Stu&Shaz Wrote:When do leucs reach breeding age?

In my experience, over a year. 12-16 months.

Is it different for males and females?

I don't know for sure, but from what I've personally witnessed, boys seem to get calling before the females care they are.

How long after calling starts is a male capable of fertilising eggs?

Pretty soon after, if not right away. Though it's hard to say. The first few attempts at clutches go bad, even if definitive breeding behavior is witnessed. I don't know whose fault it is. Although I always thought because the males seem to be calling before the females seem very interested, when she finally got to laying eggs, and they didn't develop, it was because she was just getting into the swing of things, whereas he was physically ready already.

Of course i am not expecting exact ages but a rough idea would be great

That's good, as exact ages are hard to give. A lot depends on the general health of the animal, how they were raised, what kind of nutrition they're getting, or had gotten when they were first developing & growing, and probably all that info from their parents matters too. I would be a little surprised if a group/pair of leucs hadn't given a good clutch by 18 months. And I wouldn't really look for them till around a year.

Thanks all
Stu

My personal experience alone, but has seemed to match up with others I know who keep leucs.

Thank you!

~Tobias
DendroTerra - A site in the making...
Hi Tobias,mate what a wonderful answer,truely greatful,all bases covered with great detail,although our undertaking with these frogs is large and all consuming many of the practicallities of their maintenance and breeding can not be assessed until one actually keeps them and does it,and its these little details that you have illustrated for us that i am TRYING to pre empt and be prepared for,
thankyou sir for your time, knowledge and thoughts
Stu
No problem. If you have any more questions, just ask. Lots of knowledgeable people around! :-)
DendroTerra - A site in the making...
DendroTerra Wrote:No problem. If you have any more questions, just ask. Lots of knowledgeable people around! :-)
Ha, yeah i know,but am slowly,reading up,and assimilating,trying not to post Q's that we can find the answers to,but of course one misses stuff. Thanks again to Phil to bringing us here,for answers like you have just provided.Hopefully the depth of Q will progress as we do,we are in this for the long haul,
take care Tobias
Stu

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020