Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dendrobates truncatus Photo Journal
Starting a thread to collect photos on Dendrobates truncatus (yellow or blue morph). Hope to get a photo journal that shows either wild habitat, viv setups, or various stages of the frog development. The Truncatus has traditionally been under appreciated making both the frog and information on it more scarce in the hobby.

Here is a photo I snagged from a vacation album on a Colombian forum. The photograph was taken by an individual that had visited the newly renovated and (travel safe) Tayrona park outside Santa Marta Colombia. A great pic that displays the forest floor of this habitat. This part of Colombia is more temperate with less rain than the west coast. Temps range from 70-90F (cooler in higher altitude).

The frog in this pic is a yellow morph, however I have seen a photo of a green-blue truncatus from the same park. Unfortunately I did not save it and have yet to relocate it.

Please feel free to add and correct
Scott - North Dallas
I'll add the couple I have so far: D. truncatus "Blue"

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Earliest tad pic I have, about to sprout the front legs:
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Here are a few photos I found online. The website (based in Colombia) that posted these pics appears to have been a fraud (I found a thread on DB that discussed) - someone w European name claiming to have a license for legal export of frogs and orchids. That being said, my interests are with the photos of blue Truncates, which are very nice indeed!
Scott - North Dallas
Wow these are neat. I wasnt aware of this species. Great photos BTW.
An updated pic of the tad, about to be a hopper.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
fieldsmith Wrote:An updated pic of the tad, about to be a hopper.
Awesome! Great pic too btw.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Thanks, TJ
I love how tubby tads can look sometimes. Smile
Venomos Wrote:Awesome! Great pic too btw.

Thanks! He's such a little porker, just glad he seems to be healthy.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
I picked up my new Truncatus yesterday - Tried to get some pics, but the yellow and iridescence just washes out. Film cannot come close to how striking this frog is in person. These are the "yellow" morph - although I think "gold" would describe them better. They have a mix of cannary yellow to orange. The photos leaves them looking more white, but in person you can see the color. The adults have even better color.

My frogs came from Vivarium Concepts (Cindy)

When I get my new camera for Christmas I will post some better pics.

Until then here are a few....
Scott - North Dallas
Awesome Scott, Congratulations!
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
How many did you get?
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Hi Field
I picked up 4 frogs - they acclimated very quick and all are aggressive feeders. It might be too soon to comment, but personality wise, they remind me of the tricolors. They are bold and curious frogs. I feel fortunate that I was able to see them in person a while back so I could better appreciate their beauty.

Regards
Scott
Scott - North Dallas
Nice Scott, hope you have lots of luck with them. I'm having the total opposite experience with my blues, I have only seen one once since I moved them to the grow out (and that was because I hadn't seen them in weeks and against my better judgment I dug through the viv till I saw one just to prove to myself that they were alive). I have heard that the yellows are usually bolder, but I had no idea just how shy the blues are as juvies (shyest darts I have ever kept...more so than my blue and black auratus). Again, good luck with them, they are definitely in capable hands.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Bummer, the blue are being so shy. What size is the grow out? Did I read 5g somewhere? Do they just bury in leaf litter or do you get to see them feed at all? Do you have pics of the grow out viv?

Of Course yellow could be the same when they are that young. I was guessing mine were about 6-8 months, anyway heard calling and saw hand waving from the Truncs already... so they are "grown" enough to have lost the froglet shyness if any is typical w this morph. I am surprised how bold these yellow truncs can be... they already come hopping when I bring in the FF cup.

I plan to setup my Blue Trunc viv in a few months since it will be spring before get any. My plan is to use the 18 tall by 24 wide exo terra. I was looking at the pic Todd Kelly had posted for some inspiration. I was going to use a water feature w pump and include some cliffs for climbing. My yellow Truncs like to climb, so I assume the blue will be the same.
Scott - North Dallas
Yeah, I'm sure it's just because they are so young. They don't come out at all...I honestly was worried that they had gotten out or died or something. But yeah, they hunker down under the leaf litter and under a piece of cork. I think they must come out when I'm not around because the one I saw was fat and healthy. Speaking of T. Kelleys pics, he has some on frognet if you haven't checked those out. That's a great size tank too, I have an empty one that I'm planning on building for either Varaderso or Intermedius pretty soon.
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
There are a couple cool trunc shots (and lots of other great ones too) on this site:
http://in-blogota.blogspot.com/
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Very cool - Truncs were found in a bamboo forest and along the side of a gravel road per the commentary.
Scott - North Dallas
Just read an online interview (2005) from Todd Kelley - when asked what was the most difficult frog for him to breed? answer was Blue Truncatus...
Scott - North Dallas
Here some pics from a blog that Field had found a few days ago. I have noticed older threads w links often become obsolete, so thought it made sense to add the actual photos to the Truncatus thread. The blog is in german language.

Photos appear to have been taken on location in Colombia by Andreas (last name unkown) @
http://in-blogota.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... eil-3.html

blog was found by dart den user Fieldstream
Scott - North Dallas

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020