Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

False Bottom -what exactly is it ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False Bottom -what exactly is it ?
I'm new here and I've been hearing a lot about "false bottoms". What exactly is it and what good does it do for the frogs? Thanks.
It is egg crate or "light diffuser" on small "stilts" that raises the base substrate off the bottom of the tank about 2 inches. This method helps the viv by letting water drain to the bottom and not letting it soak into the bottom substrate. Letting roots from plants soak, you will get root rot and the plant will soon die, also this lets any feces fall to the bottom and you can suck out the dirty water through a siphon tube or turkey baster. A false bottom in my opinion is a way to have a healthier viv for a healthier frog. Google false bottom if you wish its real easy to make.
oh. i think i get it now. thanks. is it required to have one? i have kept tree frogs in just a ten gallon tank thats planted. is that not okay?
I have been successful without a false bottom. In my opinion you will have to change the substrate more often and bare root the plants which in a way stunts growth, but that could be a good thing if you don't want the plant to get too big.
So the bottom part, where the leca is , should be full of water ? Is that right ?
you want empty space under the egg crate where the leca sits. Attach legs to the crate to do this. That empty space is where the excess water will collect as a result of misting and plant watering. The leca serves as a drain substrate that creates air space. A good book that shows you how is Poison Dart Frog's A complete guide to dendro care - sold I do believe at blackjungle.com I dont think it is published so it wont be at a book store. All in all it is a great book to have.

Good luck!
oh thank you. ill have to check out that book.
If you cant find info on the construction of the false bottom I can fax you copies out of my book.
How much are leca balls / Hydroton, and where do I find them ?
You can get the leca balls or hydroton at a hydroponics shop. Check out your local phone book. You can get a bag for ten dollars. I used less than a bag for my 20 gallon tank. Several dart frog suppliers also sell it, but then you'll have to pay shipping. Fran
What do y'all think for a 10 gallon tank.....would a false bottom be better ?
I basically went through the same decision making as you are now. Opinions are split and you have to decide which one you would like to use. I had bought the eggcrate and pvc pipe and ended up taking it back and using the hydroton with a small pond. I went that route because I had a 20 gallon long, which isn't that high. If you do a search, you will find a lot of discussion/questions/answers on this topic.

Fran
Just a few quick facts about false bottoms.

I have zero vivs with false bottoms.

I use plants that are hardy and do well in moist soil/environments, much as the Darts themselves do.
I find it very important if you want to breed some of the more difficult, and even less difficult species, to be able to swing temps down at night. Large bodies of water (AKA big false bottom sumps) are not conducive to temps swings. In fact , I read that stabilizing temps is one of the benefits of false bottoms. Never got that one. Warmers temps in the day, cooler temps at night. Works that way most places I know...
The more area you have taken up by water, the less you have for frogs.
Waste = fertilizer and bug food. I have never, never replaced, drained, or removed excess water for the sake of removing crap. And rarely if ever remove it because I spray too often.
So, if you want to concentrate on plants that need vivs catered to their requirements, you may be better off with a big false bottom. If you want to cater to Dart Frogs needs over the plants you may be better off without a giant lake under your viv.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
So if you have a false bottom and you cover it all with substrate... how to you get to the false bottom to clean it?

You have to disassemble the entire thing?
^ Clean what exactly?
To replace a pump, yes you would have to take it apart to some extent. And all pumps go out...sooner or later.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
clean up all the poop and crap that falls through the floor, through the egg crate and lays on the bottom?
"Waste = fertilizer and bug food. I have never, never replaced, drained, or removed excess water for the sake of removing crap. And rarely if ever remove it because I spray too often" .

This taken from the post right before your's "psyce"

Doesn't it rot and start to smell at some point and produce negative effects from being too "dirty" ?
No.

Rich,
If you don't use a false bottom how would you recommend creating a water feature such as a waterfall and pond?

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020