Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Finally, calling from one of the frogs!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally, calling from one of the frogs!
One of my imi's is calling! There's 2 in the viv, one OOW in October of 2010. The second imi was OOW towards the end of December 2010.
Anyhow, this is the first frog I know for sure is calling, and it's exciting! Hopefully the younger frog is a female Smile
Very cool, congrats again
Dendrobates, Phyllobates, Rantiomeya, Epipedobates
Don
Congrats
Sweet! Does the other frog seem the least bit interested when he calls? I know females mature a bit later than when the males start to call.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Congrats Hun!!!
My fingers are crossed you have a female. Smile
-Beth
D3monic Wrote:Sweet! Does the other frog seem the least bit interested when he calls? I know females mature a bit later than when the males start to call.
[list=][/list]

I honestly cant tell. Here's the top of the viv, where they seem to hang out most of the time. They dart for cover as soon as they see me, but I've seen them bouncing around a lot more in there this past week.

[Image: greenjungle2.jpg]
He's been calling off and on since around 11 am I guess. I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy so I waited until it kept happening to get excited LOL

BcsTx Wrote:Congrats Hun!!!
My fingers are crossed you have a female. Smile

Thank you Smile
When I came down stairs this morning the male was calling. I'm pretty sure it was the younger one, not the older one. That frog was noticed bouncing around the viv on 12/23/2010. Is it possible that he is calling?
The older imi was in the film can- here's a vid I took:
http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l56 ... lmcan1.mp4

Does that look like breeding behavior, or something I should be concerned about? The male was calling again right after I finished recording..
[Image: imi1.jpg]
[Image: imi3.jpg]
It's possible that it could be the younger one you are hearing. If you found it in the tank back in December, do
you know how old it is?
Thumbnails mature quicker than the other frogs, and
can start calling and breeding at a very young age (6 months is possible).
A ration of 2.1 shouldn't be a problem, provided the tank is large enough.
More than likely what will happen with this ration is the males will spend more time
sparring, and will be less interested in the female.
The hobbyist I purchased the froglet from emailed me Dec 23rd telling me he saw a healthy froglet hopping around. So I dont know it's exact OOW date, just that it was seen out and about on 2/23 for the first time.
There's only 2 imi's in the viv. And I've only heard one calling.
The older imi was OOW in late Sept/ early October 2010.
Oh, for some reason I thought you had 3 in the tank.

It's hard to say in that case, the sex of the young one.
A lot of times a younger frog will become submissive,
often acting like a female. So until the young one gets
a little older and you will either:
A) need see it calling
or
B) notice an obvious body shape difference
(females will take on a pear shape once they
come of breeding age), it's anyones guess.
Thank you Cindy. I will just keep watching to make sure there's no issues.
I got some belly shots of the little stinkers! Also, the smaller one was on a leaf this morning right after I heard calling. I'm assuming at this point that he's the male.
Anyhow, sharing some pics!
[Image: bellysedit.jpg]
[Image: imibellyedit.jpg]

And here's the presumed Male on his leaf. Not the best pic since it was taken through the screen vent.

[Image: imiedit.jpg]

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020