Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

First Eggs! Continued - Photo Journal
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Eggs! Continued - Photo Journal
Well, four clutches later and it looks like the eggs are fertile and developing. Unfortunately I think I discarded a viable clutch accidentally. I mistook the yolk plug for mold. I went online and researched frog egg developement: embryogenesis, gastrulation and neurulation. There are several very nice sites that explain and illustrate these processes. I have uploaded two photos. One showing the neural folds developing and the other showing the white yolk plug and the bottom of the gastrula (egg). Crossing my fingers that the eggs will develop successfully...
Very nice pics...what species ?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Congrats!
Great news, congratulations, this is actually what im looking forward mostly on the frogs! but 1st i need some frogs lol!!

Juan
0.0.2 ‘Turquoise and Bronze’ D. Auratus (Michael Shrom line)
Azureus neurula 1-23-12[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
congrats...fantastic pics too,loving all the technical words i'll never be able to write them but the education is very cool thankyou
Stu
Great pics! So whats all that debris around the tad? Planetary accretion ??
Scott - North Dallas
Great stuff! Keep the pics coming Big Grin
Do you know where your frogs have been?
The embryo is now starting to look like a tadole. The gills are forming!
RanaVenenosa Wrote:Great pics! So whats all that debris around the tad? Planetary accretion ??
Scott could you explain this in Stu friendly terms please :lol:
Stu
Yes, I would be happy to.
I am new to this hobby and I bought a probable pair of Azureus last Oct.
In December they laid their first clutch of eggs. They did not develope.
The frogs laid three more clutches. I saw changes in the eggs and was not sure what was
going on. I saw what looked like mold on the egg and disgarded them.
I went online and studied up on frog egg developement (embryology).
I realized that I had thrown away at least two clutches of good eggs.
Turns out the "mold" was the yolk plug.
Here is what I learned in a nutshell:
Developing eggs go through several stages: ( I will list the technical term and then explain it)
1. Egg is fertilized and becomes a Blastula. Latin, from Greek blastos - bud.
This is where the cells initially devide forming a "bud" of many cells. They separate into an
animal pole - dark cells which develope into tadpole and a vegetal pole that becomes the yolk.
2. The dark animal cells then turn in on themselves forming the Gastrula. The yolk plug is where
the dark cells are turning under. Gastrula -> Gastric ->means relating to the stomach.
This is the stage where the stomach or intestinal track starts to form. Turns out where you see the
yolk plug will become the anus!
3.Neurula- next the animal cells start to roll up and form the spinal chord and brain. Neurula -> nerves.
Around this tubular structure the tapoles body developes!
I hope this helps! There are some great YouTube videos of the process in action. It is amazing!
Please let me know if you have any questions. Studying this subject has allowed me to better understand
how eggs develope and has been really enjoyable seeing it in action!
Saw the tadpoles moving today!!!!
fbaccelli Wrote:Yes, I would be happy to.
The frogs laid three more clutches. I saw changes in the eggs and was not sure what was
Developing eggs go through several stages: ( I will list the technical term and then explain it)
This is where the cells initially devide forming a "bud" of many cells. They separate into an
animal pole - dark cells which develope into tadpole and a vegetal pole that becomes the yolk.
2. The dark animal cells then turn in on themselves forming the Gastrula. The yolk plug is where
the dark cells are turning under. Gastrula -> Gastric ->means relating to the stomach.
This is the stage where the stomach or intestinal track starts to form. Turns out where you see the
3.Neurula- next the animal cells start to roll up and form the spinal chord and brain. Neurula -> nerves.
I hope this helps! There are some great YouTube videos of the process in action. It is amazing!
Please let me know if you have any questions. Studying this subject has allowed me to better understand
Buddy tell me your name,fantastic explanation,thankyou for going through this,in such detail your time is precious so to take so much out to help someone is awsome i'm very greatful,
thankyou
Stu
Awesome explenation. Read up on tadpole care/feeding and don't get disapointed if you lose a couple on your jouney. No matter how much you read up on it, there's a learning curve.
Derek
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs
Stu&Shaz Wrote:
fbaccelli Wrote:Yes, I would be happy to.
Buddy tell me your name,fantastic explanation,thankyou for going through this,in such detail your time is precious so to take so much out to help someone is awsome i'm very greatful,
thankyou
Stu

Stu it was my pleasure! My name is Frank.
1-25-12 Gills are branching. Blood vessels on yolk sack. Eyes are visible.
Hi Frank we are a couple of mad folks from the other side of the pond,have fun on your journey mate,we are abit obsessed by our darts.they keep us pretty busy. best of luck,keep those awsome pics comming too 8)

Stu
Hey Stu & Shaz,
Thanks for the nice comments.
Yes this is definately a hobby you can very easily become obsessed with!!!!
Frank
wow..LOVE the pics. Always interesting to get daily metamorph pics. Kim's were the other most recent.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Great pics!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020