Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

First Vivarium and Dart Frogs - any advice?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Vivarium and Dart Frogs - any advice?
Well,I'm a kid and have had some experience with Reptiles and Amphibians. I also have 1 dog,7 cats,and 2 ferrets.I have my 29 gallon vivarium set up with creeping figs,bromelaids,airplane plants,just to name a few.I have 3 D.melanogaster cultures set up,and just ordered 3 blue Dendrobates auratus. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ?
Read all that you can about them so that you can take good care of them. The blue Auratus are very pretty, but most them tend to hide a lot.
Let me just say this...They are A LOT smaller than I thought they would be. I just got my first frog in Friday and when I saw it I was shocked at how small it was. It is a 6-8 month old sub-adult but in my mind I pictured it being about 1 1/2 inches. It is just about 1 inch from tip of nose to feet.
I am worried about the size myself when it comes to the frogs. I have a 125 gallon terrarium I just made and everyone is telling me only 6 frogs... I am thinking to myself 6 frogs at 1"-2" in a tank that large seems odd. I would rather be safe than sorry though so I am going to abide by the rules.
Building a terrarium isn't just about the frogs. Its also about the flora in it. (IMHO) A lot of people here have such beautiful set-ups that it will make you forget about the frogs living in them. 8)
Remember that pfd frogs have evolved to be in environments that are MUCH larger than what is provided in a small terrarium (mostly for resource needs ie: food and mating) and so are rather territorial (potential bullies) for a need of a certain amount of minimum space.

That is why most of us recommend a larger enclosure for pfds so that you will not have as many deaths due to stress from territorial disputes. It is a really sad day when one of your babies die from something that could have been prevented so easily.
dartfrog12 Wrote:Well,im a kid and have had some expeirince with reptiles and amphibians,I also have 1 dog,7 cats,and 2 ferrets.I have my 29 gallon viv setup with creeping figs,bromelaids,airplane plants,just to name a few.I have 3 D.manglogaster culters setup,and just ordered 3 blue auratus.Any advice?

Bromeliads really do better with some kind of ventilation---even a few tiny holes drilled in the top and covered with window screen/substrate divider will help them immensely and help to prevent rot.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020