Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Froglets not surviving
Hello
My name Robert C I've been with this form for a little over a year I've had Darts for about a year and half now and my D. auratus have been laying eggs for some time now. I've been keeping my baby's in Rubbermaid boxes with wet paper in the bottom with a small water dish and small plants for them to hide in. I've been feeding them small fruit flies and I've been keeping the temp. at 75 degrees. The problem is in the last mouth I've had two of them die. They look fat. I use Rep-Cal calcium & Hertivite on there Flies. What am I doing wrong ? Thank you for your time Sad
Are you keeping them together?
Yes I'm keeping them together
I wonder if that is the problem? How old are they now? There are others on the board that know alot more about this so maybe they will speak up also.

Mike
Hi Robert,
Without an exam ,of some sort, it is very hard to diagnose why a frog died ( especially if the frog looked healthy before it died). Are these the only frogs this has happened to? Not every froglet will survive. Any other info may be of help.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Rich,

If he is keeping them together could they be stressing each other out?

Mike
I can not tell until I have more info.
Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Hi Rich
There is no Vets up here that will do a exam. They all look very healthy in the last mouth I've only lost the two out of 17 froglets. If you need more info. let me know what you need and I will post it. Thanks
Robert
Robert,
If they have just started breeding they may need to "work out some kinks" , especially if they are young.
I would not freak out over two losses. It is very good to be concerned, but I can not think of how to help beyond keeping a very close eye on them. If they are crowded this could contribute to problems. Keep a clean holding tub and an eye on them. You could send in some fecals , but that could be problematic , being in Alaska.
Good luck,
Rich

Thanks Rich I'm keeping 4 per 6.5 qt rubbermaid container. and I clean them every day. They are a young pair.
Robert
That would not be overcrowded or unclean.
Keep your head up and hopefully this is just a normal "survival of the fittest" type thing.

Rich

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020