Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Sultan, Washington
Hello Dart Den folks! I'm new to the hobby and reading and watching everything I can about the hobby. I'm a disabled veteran and live in Washington state with my wife and dog, kids are all grown, so its just us now. I'm hoping this will be something that is not just relaxing to develop, but will be a relaxing feature in my home. My wife and I both have degrees from New Mexico State University (NMSU), mine in history and hers in horticulture, which will be a big help for me. We're both interested in this hobby which will be nice as we can share in it. I enjoy fly fishing (and fly tying), duck hunting and working with my British Labrador retriever, as a historian I love to research and read. My wife and I plan to attend our first amphibian show in Renton, Washington May 3rd, very excited! Right now I'm researching Viv's, so that I know what I want to do as funds become available, and so that I know how to do the project too, I have lots of great ideas. We're new to Washington, about 2 and a half years but we are talking about moving back to NM, so that's in the back of my head. Looking forward to learning all I can and as of now I'm, not sure if I want to go with Darts or tree frogs. I was kind of overwhelmed after reading a little about Darts, but the more I read the less that's a factor and I'm leaning again towards darts, but who knows. So, hello, it's nice to meet y'll.
Randall~
XIXΔ
Pup: SD/SHR, DixieBrits Waterdog "Dream" Come True
Welcome to Dart Den Randall !

There are a bunch of WA and North Western area hobbyists but only 1-2 in NM (That I know of). Going to a Reptile show is a great idea...just try HARD to resist the urge to impulse buy. Hang around here, read and enjoy yourself. Ask any questions that you may have / don't be shy. Some really good threads are already started on almost every topic and by all means, feel free to tack on a post to any of them if you have a related question or comment.

Hope to see ya around !

~Phil
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thanks Phil. I agree with impulse buying lol. The first goal will be to have everything setup first and then decide which frogs to go with. I have an idea which ones I would like, but I'll have to research that area. I do like the cobolts though. Also I enjoyed your videos.
Randall~
XIXΔ
Welcome to DartDen! Tincs are a fine choice - they got me hooked and I stuck with them!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Jim, I really enjoyed looking at your viv build and your info page.
Randall~
XIXΔ
Welcome, Randall!
I have a trio of cobalts, and I really enjoy them. They are now full grown, very bold, and just this month started laying eggs! It is exciting! I also just discovered I have a 2.1, not a 1.2, as I thought! (darts are full of surprises!)
If you decide to go with cobalts, you will want your viv to have a bigger footprint--they are more terrestrial than arboreal--need more horizontal space, not vertical.
Please keep us posted with your plans, and once you start building, plenty of pix, please!
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
Thanks Diane, I will keep everyone informed, once I start that is. I'm going through videos like crazy right now and have learned a whole lot about viv's. Good info on the cobalt's, although I have to confess, I haven't gotten to the point in my research about the frogs and numbers i.e. 2.1 vs 1.2. I'm guessing this has something to do with breeding or an I way off?
Randall~
XIXΔ
Here's a good number explanation thread Randall:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5738

Tincs are 'cute' when small, but when they grow up and establish dominance and breeding hierarchy, the females can be quite aggressive with other females.

Adult sexed Tincs (and most frogs) sell for 200-400% more than a froglet, so most people need to pinch pennies and grow them up and sex them after a year or so (yes it may indeed take a whole year to sex them, let alone get them breeding - maybe 2 years).

I recommend no more than 3-4 froglets in a 20 gallon size enclosure (40 gallon would be nicer) and after growing them up, you will soon see possible sex ratios ect.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Okay that's amazing! I'll look at that info, throw it in with the rest of what I need to learn lol. I guess its a positive that the Veterans Admin pay sucks, that way I don't run out and impulse spend...that's what I'm telling myself anyway, not sure I believe my rational, but why not try to be positive lol. Good stuff folks. Thanx again.
Randall~
XIXΔ

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020