Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from Portland Oregon
Just looking into the hobby. My cousin turned me on to it and I plan to spend lots of time here lurking and reading. I am sure there will be lots of questions down the road but for now I'll just say hi and thanks for all the great info I have already seen.

Mark M
Hi Mark,
Welcome to DD! We are glad to have you! You sound like you're not into PDFs yet, but are thinking about it? If you decide to dive in, please post often! Tons of good info can be gleaned here, and we always appreciate pix!!
Diane
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
I'm super interested but want to do lots of research first. Don't want to build until I have a good grasp of what I need. I'll cruise around but as a first question. Are those Exo Terra tanks any good? Something like the 18x18x24.
ExoTerras are good, so are Zoomeds--which is better is just a matter of personal preference, one door or two. I saw on a different post that you found some super inexpensive ones--snag all of those you can! The 18x18x24 is a good size for many different frogs!
On a different post you asked which breeds like the vertical space, I'll just put in my 2 cents here on this post. Thumbnails would be a good frog in this size viv--they climb lots, and would use the space. Some people would say thumbnails aren't a good "first frog" because of their size.
I recommend Azureus. Many sites will tell you that azureus are more terrestrial, they don't need height. But I will say they use height, and do enjoy it. Jim from Austin will tell you the same thing (don't mean to put words in Jim's mouth! but he does say that!) Jim's breeding pair are in a tall tank with great hardscaping, and they use it! I recently made a new viv for my 4 Azureus, and they are rarely on the ground! As long as you put in good hardscaping, Azureus will climb and roost up high, and be all over the tank. I also recommend them because they are a great beginner frog, they are bold and out a lot, and so fun to watch! And gorgeous, too.
P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis
Mark,
If you want to see what I'm talking about, go to my post from 11/21/13. Go to "Forum", then "Photography", then "Vivarium, frog room, and plant photos", then "Diane's frogs and vivs", then on page 5 should be the 11/21 post. I have pix of my new viv (which is 18x18x24), with Azureus in it.
Awesome and thank you for answering so many of my questions! It will only lead to more I am sure. I swung by the place selling the tanks and picked one up. He had a TON so getting more should be zero problem should I decide I want to do more tanks after the first build is under my belt. I will do some research on the frogs you recommended and check out the forum post you mentioned. THANK YOU!
Hey, I noticed that you are in Galena. My brother in land sister in law live there as well. Small world.
Boy it is a small world!

You are lucky to be near a place selling good tanks for low prices!

Leucs would also be good, for the same reasons as azureus--bold, beautiful, easy to see and enjoy, and considered good beginner frogs.
Welcome Mark! As Diane said I'm a fan of tincs, and Azureus have been our favorites since the start. They do climb, with the right hardscaping. Consider building ledges that are offset to encourage climbing - though they can scale the glass, they much prefer short hops from ledge to ledge. My Azureus pair roost in the upper portion of the viv each night, with the female taking up a spot in the upper 2 inches of the viv. The male prefers a cave just below that. Here's the post of my new layout showing the vertical hardscaping (there are shots of other vivs just below it with similar designs):
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6303&start=60#p54695

Good luck and welcome!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020