Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inbred frogs ?
I just read the Todd Kelly wanted post, and didn't want to hijack, so.....

In my opinion, if I breed a male that is the offspring of say Nabors/Phil Tan with a female that is the offspring of a Jeremy Huff/UE import that all come from the same locale at different times, the genetics of the offspring will be far superior than if I breed a pair that are from breeder A who has a pair of Nabors line he bought from breeder B who has a Nabors line pair he bought from Breeder C who bought a pair from Patrick.

Why do people do this??
Genetics, Schmenetics...inbreeding depression isn't going to be a problem until WAAYYYY down the line. You'd have to line breed for YEARS and YEARS to produce weakness and problems from any 'inbreeding'.

Hobbyist worry WAY too much about 'brother and sister' bla bla bla. Think about all the isolated pockets of Tincs 'inbreeding' in the Brazilian savanahs for hundreds of years.

Getting a frog from some hobbyist in Cali if you are on the East Coast is plenty of diversity IMO
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
But we aren't even talking about that much diversity Phil. And yes the small pockets are inbred but not all offspring from one pair
scott_r Wrote:I just read the Todd Kelly wanted post, and didn't want to hijack, so.....

In my opinion, if I breed a male that is the offspring of say Nabors/Phil Tan with a female that is the offspring of a Jeremy Huff/UE import that all come from the same locale at different times, the genetics of the offspring will be far superior than if I breed a pair that are from breeder A who has a pair of Nabors line he bought from breeder B who has a Nabors line pair he bought from Breeder C who bought a pair from Patrick.

Why do people do this??

The reason for the Kelly line breeding is that the actual collection location is unknown. The initial groups of Kelly Iquitos and Red Vents came mixed in with a group of R. reticulata and were sorted out. They became unique lines since all that could be figured out was only a general idea of where they probably came from.
An Iquito is an Iquito is an Iquito
Who is actually quantifying the Kelly frogs as Iquitos?
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
scott_r Wrote:An Iquito is an Iquito is an Iquito

I would probably agree if we were talking about frogs that are for sure R. amazonica/vent. Iquitos with collection/locale info known. Iquitos was just a name that they gave these frogs because the R. reticulata they were collected along with are found in the lowlands outside Iquitos BUT the location could NOT be verified. These frogs were around before the current UE imports and due to the fact that those are known and the lack of line info for Kelley's, were kept separate. Bottom line is that while they may look like the Iquitos imports, they were deemed separate to err on the side of caution. Short of genetic testing I don't think a positive assertion as identical to UE Iquitos can be made.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020