Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction and more introductions !
Hey my name is Matt. I live in central Mass and absolutely love the herp hobby. I have been breeding FBT's for several years now and have provided homes for more herps than I care to list but this will be my first time with darts. Im pumped, ive always wanted darts but literally have had no space in my house (that im allowed to use). I finally decided it was time to give up my breeding of FBT's and have moved my last pair to a ten gallon, freeing up my 30g for PDF's. I am looking forward to being a part of this forum and talking to you all more!
0.1.0 crested gecko
4.5.0 FBT
1.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.1.0 Sun Conure
Hi there everyone... I wasn't sure where to make introductions but I'm the mother of a 7 yr old boy who is extremely fascinated with herps of all kinds. We currently have a bearded dragon. I have a large saltwater tank and have a lot of experience in the past with reef tanks. I love to garden and build things also so while my son is away for summer I have decided to embark on building our first Vivarium and plan to have it up and running when he gets back I will take him to the breeder to pick out his PDF's. I have been reading and researching as much as I can but I will be posting some questions and plans for feedback. Great pace here for great animals!
Love, Love, Love
Hello all,

I am a father of 2 (4 yr old & 18 mnth old) with a third on the way. I was into dart frogs in my early 20's raising and breeding Vitatus, when I moved in with my girlfriend (now my wife) I dropped the hobbie. Now that my son has shown an intrest in it I am going to start up once again. I plan on a fairly ambitios project constructing using a 42 gallong tall tank. I plan on utalizing the hight to contstruct a tank like you may have seen at www.blackjungle.com. Well I am sure i will have a ton of questions as i get going...hope that it comes back to me.
Welcome, I'm new as well, have a baby on the way. Since I'll be home more, thought I'd pick up dart frogs, as I had previously put them off due to traveling too much.

~Mickey
Hi all... I am a step mother of twin boys (8 yrs old) I have always had some type of reptile in my home for as long as I can remember, currently my kids have a blood red corn snake, along with several furry 4 legged... I have always wanted PDF but never really had anybody else to share the enjoyment with until now... So I am trying to change an old 20 gal tall tank into a home for some new little ones..
hello all i am a new member my name is jonathan but friends call me spud.. i have been off and on into reptiles, and other various critters but i finally made the jump to get some poison darts surprisingly so far its been the most exciting..
i have plenty of quetions and im really excited and ready to learn all about taking care of darts properly
hello everybody, my name is mel and I am totally new to the PDF's. I purchased two at a reptile show on saturday. I did a lot of research prior to the purchase of my PDF's and thought all would be groovy. Like I said I purchased two on saturday having been told and having read that they are "pack" animals and like to be social, I did not want them lonely. Less than 24 hours after bringing them home, one of them died in mid hop, it was really weird. Since the death of the frog, the other frog seems troubled, when their were two they were active and playing, now the one left seems despondent, he is hiding, doesn't seem to be eating, and is moving very little. Any ideas as to why the first frog might have died? and also, do i need to replace him to make the remaining frog happy?
stormymondaymel Wrote:hello everybody, my name is mel and I am totally new to the PDF's. I purchased two at a reptile show on saturday. I did a lot of research prior to the purchase of my PDF's and thought all would be groovy. Like I said I purchased two on saturday having been told and having read that they are "pack" animals and like to be social, I did not want them lonely. Less than 24 hours after bringing them home, one of them died in mid hop, it was really weird. Since the death of the frog, the other frog seems troubled, when their were two they were active and playing, now the one left seems despondent, he is hiding, doesn't seem to be eating, and is moving very little. Any ideas as to why the first frog might have died? and also, do i need to replace him to make the remaining frog happy?

What is your setup?
I set up the tank just as the sales lady, the internet, and books have instructed, I have live plants of varities that were recommended, the same moss floor covering that they were living on when I bought them, the same clay ball substrate they had in the tank they came from, I have been keeping them lighted 10- 12 hours a day as i was instructed, and am heating the tank to keep it around 82 degrees and have been heavily misting it several times a day to keep it moist in the dry environment I live in. . . I am at a total loss as to what the problem may be
What kind of frog? Unless it's a pumilio which you shouldn't be starting with, keep the temps in the mid 70s - then what kind of water are you using, what's the lid of the tank made of?
its an azureus, so I should keep it a little cooler, mid 70's you say, I will try that. I am using bottled spring water, the lady at the show recommended it, and the top of the tank is mesh, maybe I should partially cover the top with some plastic to help keep the humidity in?
Yeah definitely put plexiglass or glass on top of at least 3/4 of the screen and lower the temps to 70s, where did you get the plants? sent you a PM also so check your inbox
thanks so much for takin the time to help me out, i really appreciate it! again i bought the plants from the same place i got the frogs
a bad thought since you mentioned the jump, hopefully the frog wasn't just having a temporary seizure from stress from the change of environments or something
it that's actually what I was kinda hoping for. . . my thought was that the remaining frog might be safer if it was stress related, I'm really hoping the remaining frog doesn't die too.
Oh so you kept it for a day or two before discarding it?
well yeah. . . like I said, started with two frogs bought them together, and only one died, i figure I'll wait and see if the remaining frog makes it or not. So far he is alive but doesn't seem real happy.
No, did you keep the body of the dead frog for a while to make sure it was really dead and not just having a temporary seizure
oh. . . I get it now sorry. . . yes I did, kept him under observation until he started to dry up
Do we have any idea yet, what species and where exactly they were acquired?
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020