Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Just got 5 eggs from cobalts, are they all good ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got 5 eggs from cobalts, are they all good ?
I bought a sexed pair of Surinam cobalts from Patrick Nabors a few months ago, Today I found 5 eggs under one of the coco huts. 3 were grayish black and 2 were white (I believe and I only got a glance as not to disturb them) Am I correct when I say I think they are bad ?
yep, they are bad and to be expected for new breeders, so dont worry. cobalts tend to breed pretty regularly as lthey hould be black. i pull my eggs 24-48 hours after laying and if one goes bad i carefully remove it. guess maybe you have some reseraching to do now on egg care? congrats! there will b more to come. kristy Big Grin
Thought so. Good eggs are half white half dark right?
cobalt eggs are black......after 5 days or so u'll see a ridge which is the tad developing. no they are not half and half. kristy Big Grin
then maybe some of thwem are good because some look pretty black, but only one is like pitch black :?
well the black one could be good. once they split or get a white appearance i take a tweezers(to avoid molding the good eggs), some use a blade and cut out te obviously bad ones..very carefully....do you know how to pull eggs? I am an egg puller, some leave them in the viv till they hatch, but i find that i have much more success when i pull them and take care of them myself. It all depends on how many tads you want to be rearing as cobalts can be quite prolific and sooner or later you'll likely be up to your ears in tads. remember to keep the parent's ff supplimented also. kristySmile
Ok negative 5 bad eggs except 3 very developed tads I didn't see!!! I am flipping out I have no idea what to do.
ok once again I checked under the other coco hut and found 2 bad eggs and 4 developed tads 3 are still curled but the 4th wasnt and I placed in a cup of tadpole tea so he is submerged. Man I wished I'd checked thi before
tadpoles in eggs dont go in a tad cup until they have hatched. hatched means when their tail has straightened and are out of their egg sack. I pull my eggs, put a piece of eggcrate on the bottom of a ziplock container. place springwater up to edge of eggcrate and set petri dish on top. i then mist lightly once a day to every other day to keep the humidity up. when the tads tail is straight, i remove and put into a tad cup filled with springwater by way of a plastic spoon. i feed my tads algae mix occasionaly, tad bites as staple, and a piece of almond leaf as well as the boiled tea from it. just a table spoon in a ff culture cup is what i use but smaller cups half that size are also usable. after i do all this, i replace with a new petri dish for egg laying. kristy Big Grin
yes the first did have a straight tail the water probably 1/2in deep and I may take some out. I have him in RO/tad tea with boiled almond leaf and sppirulina goldfish flakes.
sounds good to me. no worries then. kristy Big Grin hey congrats!
Thanks for the help! I really needed it Big Grin I replaced the petri dish and 5mins later female went in and then the male went in and there both there now. According to schedule today is their day too. And one more question, How long do these typically take to morph?
tadpoles morph for my surinam cobalts around2.5 months up to three. i keep them at room temp which is like 74 in that room since i covered the AC vents Big Grin kristy 72-74 is good.
Jake Wrote:Thanks for the help! I really needed it Big Grin I replaced the petri dish and 5mins later female went in and then the male went in and there both there now. According to schedule today is their day too. And one more question, How long do these typically take to morph?
She is pretty fantastic about helping out. Smile

Congrats on the tads!!! Big Grin
your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle; everything I do is stitched with its color.
up-date I have another clutch of eggs and it seems two of the first eggs I thought were bad a few days ago arn't and have hardly developed tads in them :roll: ..... again thanks for the help

P.S I have java moss growing in my freshwater fish tank so I added some to the cups.
well congrats! them being new parents you'll just have to see if they morph out alright from here on. sounds like you are doing everything you should be. kristy Big Grin
hmmm the 2 tads still in eggs i can't decide what to do both are uncurled but not fully straight... do I take them out?
they should be fully straight. are they out of the egg mass yet? if not leave them for another day or two till they are. atthis point you can mist a little heavier and they should be fine. kristy Big Grin
ok Up-date. I have 3 tad in the water from the first clutch. I thought they were dead but there getting bigger and wiggle whenever I top-off... not much else. Also I have 1 tad in the water from second clutch (making 4 altogether) and 2 more ready to go in any time. Along with another clutch with a few viable eggs.
congrats. let us know how the success goes on the way. exciting i'm sure! kristy Big Grin

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020