Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leuc with a bump on his head.
http://www.dartden.com/album_personal.php?user_id=59

I bought them from someone whom is getting out of frogs and they said that they had never noticed it before.

In any event, I have had them for 2 almost 3 months and there does not seem to be a problem with him feeding or hopping around. He is just as active as the other 4 in the tank.

I am just wondering if anyone has seen this before or if they might know what it is?

Please let me know.

Regards,
cj
That is almost certainly a bacterial infection similar to an abscess. Antibiotics are needed for this guy. Sometimes a vet will drain the abscess, but it may not be necessary. I would begin treatment with Baytril drops and Silversulfadiazene cream. If you start therapy soon enough, you should have good luck, but if you wait too long, the infection will usually enter the bloodstream and kill the frog. Good luck.

Dr. Frye
I took the frog to a vet yesterday and as she was draining the bump a big white nasty looking parasite come out.
Yuck.
Everything seems better now.
Thank you, to everyone for their help
Regards,
Interesting, good thing you had the frog looked at. Abscesses generally are not cured by antibiotics even if they are bacterial. You really have to drain these things. In this case it was a parasite!
Hm... I haven't noticed this post. There are 2 other ppl (myself included) with a "lumpy leuc". Can you tell me how this draining procedure was done??? Have you seen it done? How was the frog held? Did they drain it with a syringe or with a small cut and squeezed it out? Just curious... I'm dying to see that parasite...I bet so is my leuc.

Home surgery 101???? I have 8 leucs, so I guess I'm brave enough :twisted:

Any input greatly appreciated !

chddjon Wrote:I took the frog to a vet yesterday and as she was draining the bump a big white nasty looking parasite come out.
Yuck.
Everything seems better now.
Thank you, to everyone for their help
Regards,
Wow...is your vet experienced with these sorts of critters ? The one near us does mostly dogs and cats...I don't know if they would take on a little guy like these....

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020