Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male____ ?
What is it?

[Image: MP9O0917.jpg]

[Image: MP9O0914.jpg]

[Image: MP9O0912.jpg]

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Mine, let me know when to come pick it up.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
What kind of frog is this??
Need a Website? PM Me for more information.

Recent Hobby Clients - DartDen.com, Rainforestherps.com
^ , yes.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Dendrobates vicentei

Possible female
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:Dendrobates vicentei

Possible female

[Image: MP9O09172.jpg]

1 -vote San Cristobal Island pum.
1 -Don't know ---(could be the smart bet)
1- Red vincentei. ---Deduction of .25 (if correct) for incorrect guess of possible female, especially after the title.

Looks similar to this
[Image: DDuellmani012800_macrus_bartelds.jpg]

Oophaga sylvatica s.s.
"Santo Domingo"

http://www.dendrobase.de/index.php?gatt ... a&id=12220
Need a Website? PM Me for more information.

Recent Hobby Clients - DartDen.com, Rainforestherps.com
oophaga sylvatica? the dark patch on the throat looks possible for a male and appears slightly slightly stretched out to me.. got any pics from straight under?

Edit: oh I didnt see that under the pic above he noted it being O. sylvatica as well
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Albert Einstein
1.2.0 pumilio (drago colon) 1.1.0 pumilio (Escudo) 0.0.4 M. stelzneri 0.0.2 D. tinc (patricia) 0.1.0 D leucomelas
-Keith
I'll try this again.
I'm 100% sure that the pictured frog is a male. There is no doubt. It's a male. Honest.

[Image: MP9O08732.jpg]

[Image: MP9O08772.jpg]

Interesting how he looks like a different species just by body position, each position...

Oophaga speciosa?
If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? - Albert Einstein
1.2.0 pumilio (drago colon) 1.1.0 pumilio (Escudo) 0.0.4 M. stelzneri 0.0.2 D. tinc (patricia) 0.1.0 D leucomelas
-Keith
My vote is a really cool pattern on a siquirres/ blackjean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At least four different species guessed so far. Anyone else have a guess?
If we can't even guess a species correct...is there any 'expert' who really has a big enough ego to think looking at a best guess pum will tell the locale?

RichFrye Wrote:At least four different species guessed so far. Anyone else have a guess?
If we can't even guess a species correct...is there any 'expert' who really has a big enough ego to think looking at a best guess pum will tell the locale?

I agree, just out of curiosity how many mm is the male???

rcteem Wrote:
RichFrye Wrote:At least four different species guessed so far. Anyone else have a guess?

I agree, just out of curiosity how many mm is the male???

25mm , vent to snout.

Rich

Big guy! out of all the locals/moprhs and hundreds of individual frogs we measured snout to vent they varried in length between 16-22mm the largest individual was a female from Almerante and I want to say she was 23mm. I would have to look into my reccords to be sure though.

and that said no I dont beleive its possible ether to accurately decicde what morph/local a pumilio is from looking at it or measuring it. They are just too varible.
-Keith
Kerickson978 Wrote:Big guy! out of all the locals/moprhs and hundreds of individual frogs we measured snout to vent they varried in length between 16-22mm the largest individual was a female from Almerante and I want to say she was 23mm. i would have to look into my reccords to be sure though.

and that said no i dont beleive its possible ether to accurately decicde what morph/local a pumilio is from looking at it or measuring it. they are just to varible.

BIG, but not the biggest male. I assume these were Panama frogs/pums? And I assume you did not venture into the contigious area of 'El Dorado'/Bri Bri? What work were you doing?

There's a correct guess in the answers. With even more hints, I'll give people a last chance to jump on the guess train.

It should be known that I could just as easily post pics of dozens of frogs I own and get best guesses for months. And, just as with these high-res pics here people would be vastly wrong in their best guesses of what I present. But hey, that's no reason to stop buying all the cheap, easily managed :roll: , best guess Panama pums. Right?

Rich

RichFrye Wrote:BIG, but not the biggest male. I assume these were Panama frogs/pums? And I assume you did not venture into the contigious area of 'El Dorado'/Bri Bri? What work were you doing?
No we didnt get into the El Dorado/Bri Bri area.. i wish... we didnt actually spend to much time on the mainland most of our work was spent on Isla Colon. Ive gone down for two different projects, one a general study with JP lawrence, and the other a study on the Evolutionary science behind aposematic colorations, and predation with Justin Yeager.

the locals we have measured weights and SVL (snout to vent length) for include isla Bastimentos( the graveyard outside town, and salt creek), Solarte(hospital point), San Cristobal, Popa (North and South), Loma Partida, Aguacate, Uyama, Robalo, Valiente penninsula(very very similar to the Escudo morph), Cayo de Agua, Pastores, Pelican Key, Almerante, and Escudo de Veraguas.

and no.. no more guessing for me... hahaha it was fun to toss out random ideas but honestly I dont know it looks like a pumilio to me but from where? beats me.
-Keith
Kerickson978 Wrote:
RichFrye Wrote:BIG, but not the biggest male. I assume these were Panama frogs/pums? And I assume you did not venture into the contigious area of 'El Dorado'/Bri Bri? What work were you doing?
No we didnt get into the El Dorado/Bri Bri area.. i wish... we didnt actually spend to much time on the mainland most of our work was spent on Isla Colon. Ive gone down for two different projects, one a general study with JP lawrence, and the other a study on the Evolutionary science behind aposematic colorations, and predation with Justin Yeager.

the locals we have measured weights and SVL (snout to vent length) for include isla Bastimentos( the graveyard outside town, and salt creek), Solarte(hospital point), San Cristobal, Popa (North and South), Loma Partida, Aguacate, Uyama, Robalo, Valiente penninsula(very very similar to the Escudo morph), Cayo de Agua, Pastores, Pelican Key, Almerante, and Escudo de Veraguas.

and no.. no more guessing for me... hahaha it was fun to toss out random ideas but honestly I dont know it looks like a pumilio to me but from where? beats me.

What have been labeled 'El Dorado' (and all their multiple breeding populations) , Bri Bri (and all their multiple breeding populations), and Black Jeans all pretty much dwarf most of the Panama locales you mention measuring.

The male frog pictured is a Black Jean . Good guess Chris T.

I have visualy seen , both in person and pictures, many pics of 'El Dorado', 'Bri Bri' , Blue Jeans, and San Cristobal Island pums which could all have passed for clutch-mates of the pictured frog.
At 27mm vent to snout my largest Black male is a giant. I think the Black jeans may well deserve true reclassification.

Once again, this all revolves back to the fact you absolutely can not guess a frog into a pedigree.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020