Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Males not calling if they're ill...?
I have two frogs I strongly believe are males b/c I have two confirmed females in the quarantine tank with them. They are all four new purchases, but I have never heard them calling. Could this be b/c of stress, illness or both? Please share from a base of experience and not just speculation so I can sort this out. Thanks!
dendromom Wrote:I have two frogs I strongly believe are males b/c I have two confirmed females in the quarantine tank with them. They are all four new purchases, but I have never heard them calling. Could this be b/c of stress, illness or both? Please share from a base of experience and not just speculation so I can sort this out. Thanks!

update---after some digging, I think it is from stress, but I'm still waiting on the fecal cultures to come back. But I could still use your opinions.
are they in quarantine and if so...a big enough enclosure? they wont call sometimes unless they are in permanent viv, have settled in and are all together if u have a confirmed female that always helps too....r they breeding age? Smile
kristy55303 Wrote:are they in quarantine and if so...a big enough enclosure? they wont call sometimes unless they are in permanent viv, have settled in and are all together if u have a confirmed female that always helps too....r they breeding age? Smile

They're not in quarantine anymore. I'm starting to hear calling now and the female is following him. It's just that the viv is only a month old, so they're not quite settled in...otherwise they're perfectly healthy and placated now---the male is nearly 9 months old. Thanks again.

The quarantine tank was only 2 1/2 gallons, had four frogs and very little hiding places---but I think that was causing the issue. Now in the permanent vivarium, I'm starting to see results.
dont do qaurantine that small again. i recommed ten galon size tanks for quarantine. or bigger if the darts are big
Thanks for that. I did lose one frog due to stress, but the others are OK now that they're in the vivarium! I appreciate your help, again.
it goes both ways.. i appreciate your adviceas yo do mine.....works out kind of nice doesnt it? kristy Big Grin
Update----one is calling, the male, of course--- and I have two females---they didn't show their 'true colors' until situated---I was worried for nothing.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020