Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Mister water - what kind to use ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mister water - what kind to use ?
What kind of water do you guys put in your mister ? I have been putting water that I run through a DI unit. However I got a new RO/DI unit to make water for my reef tank and and wondering if I should use it for my mister ?

Mike
I just use distilled water from the gallon jugs, as long as the water doesn't have any chlorine or a buildup of minerals or anything it will be fine.
Rih thanks again for the response. I guess my concern would be this would as close to free water as I could get. Seeing how permiable a frogs skin is I just wondered if it might cause issues. I was wondering if someone has used this type of water before. I really dont want to keep getting DI water if I can use this stuff without concerns. It probably wont be a problem, I guess I will give it a try.

Mike
Hey Mike,

I basically do the same as Rih and i use water from my Brita filter and fill a gallon jug with it. Since I use the brita filter for my drinking water, it really isn't putting me out any extra expense or trouble and the frogs have done fine with it in their mister. I hope someone can tell you about the other water you asked about. ~Lauren
1.1.1 Hawaiian Auratus (reticulated), 1.2.2 Leucomelas, 3.2.1 Cobalt Tincs, 1.0.0 Kauluha & Creme / Camo Auratus, 2.0.1 Yelloback Tincs, 0.0.4 Azureus, 1.1.0 Spotted Auratus
Lauren,

Thanks for the reply, I have been using my RO/DI water and seems to be fine, it is probably over kill but since I already have the filter I just use it.

Welcome to the board!

Mike
Dartfrog,

RO/DI works great for the misting systems! One thing to keep in mind R/O or distilled water is free of many minerals that can clog up your misting system. Also, it is a good idea to get your vitamin supplementation down to a regular basis. I usually keep a bowl of treated, albeit regular water in a bowl for them to bathe.

David
Yea that was my orignal thought was to keep the glass clean. there really is no build up from it.
No problems. Use RO water. Your mister will last forever, you won't have to clean your glass/acrylic.

Marty
www.MistKing.com

DartFrog Wrote:What kind of water do you guys put in your mister? I have been putting water that I run through a DI unit. However I got a new RO/DI unit to make water for my reef tank and and wondering if I should use it for my mister?

Mike
I have a hand mister. I use water from my aquarium in it, which the plants seem to like. Water in the aquarium has had water conditioner added to it to make it safe for fish, and I only refill the mister when the water's been sitting for at least a week to make sure there's nothing in there that needs to evaporate. I figure if the fish are fine living in it, it's safe for frogs. I have never used chemicals in the tank other than the water conditioner, and I have never had an amphibian in the tank.
One side effect of this is it spread algae spores in the enclosure. The deer skull, the clay walls, and the wood all have algae and moss-like things growing on them.
You figured wrong. You have no idea about disease or parasites you're spreading. I'd ixnay on the fish crap water. Hope that helps

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020