Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Boring Frog in the Hobby?
First, let me qualify this post by saying that I fully realize that living things in nature, particularly those kept in captivity, have no obligation to entertain us.

That having been said, these 6 Vittatus I had the misfortune of "winning" on Frog Day are, without a doubt, the most boring frogs I have ever owned. They do absolutely nothing except set in broms and slightly move to eat. They are rarely observable.

If anybody wants them, pay for the shipping and a little extra towards my $80 "winning" bid and they are yours. Happy to get rid of them.

Ed
I have vittata that are very bold. Perhaps you just don't have them set up properly....
Adam Hess
thedude Wrote:I have vittata that are very bold. Perhaps you just don't have them set up properly....

OK, fair enough. Please tell me what is wrong with this viv:
Ed,
I have two groups of vittatus and while they are somewhat shy frogs, I think that in a properly set up environment they will be much bolder. I think you need much more plants. Mine seem to prefer rather overgrown vivaria. The more plants and the less they are disturbed the better they seem to like it. I read once that if upset and moved from one tank to another it will upset P. vittatus and they'll quit breeding and become shy. While I've always kept them in one tank I could see how this would be true. My original group was very bold in their overgrown "jungle" tank till I trimmed the plants. After I trimmed them they because shy until the plants grew in again. The lighting was not bright at all, just a standard aquarium type fluorescent fixture on their tank. P. vittatus are awesome and very underrated frogs, you just have to cater to their needs a little more than other frogs.
Jon
Proper leaf litter - LARGE magnolia leaves. They look like large pringle chips. The little live oak leaves are good an' all, but they are mainly for microfuana. When I use leaf litter, I use a bed of them (live oak) and then top them off with large magnolia leaves. When you have 3-4 large magnolia leave resting on top or near each other, the stacking creates a 'frog condo' and they can slip between the leaves.

No frog species is ever going to display to it's fullest( as full as can be expected in captive conditions) unless the enclosure is well designed, planted and hardscaped. Your tank is pretty bare, Ed , hence the frogs always hiding.

Phyllobates vittatus is a most bold, vocal and enjoyable species. I kept a breeding group of 9 together and they were always fun to watch - especially their feeding behaviour! Phyllobates are the pitbulls of the dart frog world. Comparatively, dendrobates and oophaga are like your friends coming over on a slow, lazy Sunday afternoon for pizza and to watch the game. Phyllobates are like the college football team coming over after a win to devour everything in sight...quickly!

Vittatus females can also vocalize. They can chirp and squawk in a few different tones, which is really neat. They are a good colony or group frog. They can even change colour! They can go from subdued and dull when they are 'off' - hiding or scared, to bright metalic with the copper (or red) stripe and the blue legs. They are very colourful.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Jon:

I can only defer to a Frogger of your experience and reputation. I will do as you say and report back. Thanks so much for the advice.

Ed
Thanks, Phil, for your advice as well. Always appreciated and respected. Is high tank the better choice? Ed
vittatus are a 'terrestrial' frog. I would recommend a 20 gallon long for 2,3 or 4 and a 40 gallon 'breeder' tank for a larger colony.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
It looks like it needs a lot more plants and some larger leaf litter like magnolia. I would try some broad leaved plants they can perch on and call from. Some pothos or philodendron.
Adam Hess
ems1016 Wrote:First, let me qualify this post by saying that I fully realize that living things in nature, particularly those kept in captivity, have no obligation to entertain us.

That having been said, these 6 Vittatus I had the misfortune of "winning" on Frog Day are, without a doubt, the most boring frogs I have ever owned. They do absolutely nothing except set in broms and slightly move to eat. They are rarely observable.

If anybody wants them, pay for the shipping and a little extra towards my $80 "winning" bid and they are yours. Happy to get rid of them.

Ed

My group used to be very shy until the tank became very over grown. Now They don't even jump away when I open to feed them. They are one of my favorite frogs just cause of their call. Jon gave great advice and I think you will change your mind in the future.
All of you guys (and gals) always give great advice and I trust each one of you implicitly. I am following all advice and look forward to enjoying an apparently misunderstood (at least by me) species of frog. Thank you all for the enlightenment.

Ed

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020