Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Vivarium!! :)
Hi guys! I'm Madison, but I usually go by delfiend (it's my YouTube username and long-time nickname).

I love animals and have had tons of pets, ranging from my first ever pet, an African Dwarf Frog named Active, to my almost-one-year-old bearded dragon Freddy. I've owned hamsters, a guinea pig, praying mantises, all sorts of fish, hermit crabs, a few reptiles, and of course my dog. There's nothing I enjoy more than reading and learning about fascinating creatures, besides actually being able to interact and care for said creatures! Smile

I spend most of my time participating on several forums regarding different animals I've kept/keep, admining for a few different animal-related groups, and of course making YouTube videos about my pets and helping to educate others about them.

I just recently was able to acquire an Exo Terra 18"x18"x24" terrarium that I've just today planted and made a vivarium! It's my first ever, and I'm super pumped to have it all set up! Here's some pictures!

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Here's a list of all the plants in the viv, and then where they're located. My bromeliads are currently "planted" in the soil (more like loosely packed in place using sphagnum moss), and if they work out like that, great! If not, I am planning on getting more logs anyway.
Quote:Calathea 'Velvet Touch'
Pilea involucrata "Moon Valley"
Philodendron 'Wend-imbe'
Philodendron 'Moonlight'
Polystichum tsus-simense 'Korean Rock Fern'
Anthurium 'Secret'
Neoregelia 'Blueberry Muffin'
Neoregelia 'Cheers'
Neoregelia liliputiana hybrid (Donna Strand)
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

I know it's not the fanciest of vivariums, but I'm VERY VERY proud of it!! Smile Smile Smile I think it looks spectacular and I can't wait to get a dart frog in there to live it up!

Let me know what you think!!
Welcome to Dart Den and 'the hobby' !

2 quick things:

1. Make sure you have a section of cut glass on top of your enclosure. You should have at least 80% of the top covered with glass. I like to get a template cut at a local hardware store and just lay it flat on top of the screen. I then move the glass this way or that - covering or uncovering a bit of the screen top to allow for ventilation.

2. Those broms will not prosper in dirt. They will do better if attached to wood. They need moisture but then the ability for the roots to dry and that won't work in soil in a vivarium. You may need to scale back a few broms and/or add a couple more branches.

Good start though and love the enthusiasm !!
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Thanks for the advice! Smile I ordered a glass top, but it didn't come. It did specify that it came with the tank (which I didn't buy) so that's probably why. I covered the screen thwt wasn't covered by the light fixture with press n seal cling wrap, which has been working miracles for keeping in the humidity for my hermit crabs!
I figured I needed to put them in a log or something. I've heard that some bromeliads can be successfully kept in well draining soil, so I just wanted to check. Smile
Welcome to the hobby! I'm not a brom guy, but perhaps you could pin some of your smaller broms to the background or carve our a few mount holes? Great first viv! Keep us posted on how the build progresses.
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
I've grown numerous broms in soil successfully. You do not need to mount them. If you mount them, consider installing a false bottom, water pump and drip system so you will not be a slave to misting. Good luck!
LiveToViv Wrote:I've grown numerous broms in soil successfully. You do not need to mount them. If you mount them, consider installing a false bottom, water pump and drip system so you will not be a slave to misting. Good luck!

...and consider covering the screen top with something to keep the viv nice and humid. Someone, somewhere on the forum suggested using press'n seal wrap to seal up the screen top, and I have to tell you, this is a GREAT suggestion! Now, it doesn't look great, but you can't really see the tops of my vivs, so I don't care much. However, I think if you pulled the wrap nice and tight and then trimmed the excess with an exacto knife, you might be able to make the top look like its just covered with frosted glass or plexi. Just an idea. Have fun.
I would cut glass to cover entire top else you will have fruit flies roaming free in your living room. I would not use seal wrap as you most likely have a light on your viv? that would be a fire hazard.

Keep us posted with your progress!

-Scott
Scott - North Dallas
RanaVenenosa Wrote:I would cut glass to cover entire top else you will have fruit flies roaming free in your living room. I would not use seal wrap as you most likely have a light on your viv? that would be a fire hazard.

-Scott

I don't have roaming fruit flies and the plastic wrap doesn't melt next to my LED lamps, which are cool to the touch. You're right, though, press'n seal would be a bad idea next to any lamp that gets hot.
LiveToViv Wrote:
RanaVenenosa Wrote:I would cut glass to cover entire top else you will have fruit flies roaming free in your living room. I would not use seal wrap as you most likely have a light on your viv? that would be a fire hazard.

-Scott

I don't have roaming fruit flies and the plastic wrap doesn't melt next to my LED lamps, which are cool to the touch. You're right, though, press'n seal would be a bad idea next to any lamp that gets hot.

No roaming FF's could also suggest you have a natural balance of free ranging spiders Smile
Scott - North Dallas

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020