Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

New to it all! First build and open to feedback
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to it all! First build and open to feedback
Hello all you dart lovers!

So I'm not really sure where to start so I suppose I'll give you the specs of my tank and see if I have any short comings. All and any criticize welcome, would also love if you could point me to other threads I'm glad to read those too!
So to begin with I've done massive amounts of reading at this point and feel fairly confident that I can maintain and keep these little guys happy. I keep coming across so much conflicting data however that I'm concerned that I've missed something and god forbid something goes wrong when I get the little guys.

I have an 18x18x24 exo-terra enclosure, the tank has 2 sheets of glass resting on the screen top to hold in moisture with about an inch on an end on both sides for a cross breeze. I'm returning them soon and getting a full piece -I haven't decided if that should go on the front or back yet- and another piece with about an inch of room for the hose of my mister/fogger to get in. On the back of the tank top I have a hood that has 2 exo-terra 26w bulbs for my plants. I haven't heard that PDFs need any specific light so I'm trying to keep it cool as well as keep my plants happy. My background is a simple one that came with the tank just a Styrofoam insert really. There's space behind it where I'm running tubes down to the bottom so that I can siphon if and when I need to.

I really have my heart set on leucs simply because I think a little group of 3 would be something I would like. My temp range is between 72-80F on a daily basis never over 80 for long though. My substrate from the top down: spaghnum moss> eco earth >weed mesh> 1-1 1/2" hydoballs. I water/mist my plants twice daily for 20seconds and then have a humidifier/mister turn on for 10mins 6 times daily. I have some plants in there along with a couple fake wood pieces and 2 coco-huts. I have a small fern, some club moss, a couple pothos, and an unidentified tropical plant. all of which I washed before putting into my tank. I have a pretty basic knowledge of how to culture FFs and plan on attempting on t a couple weeks before I get my new babies. Am I missing anything or need to look into more?
working my way up to 3 little leucs soon! :3
Welcome to Dart Den !

It seems like you have done a lot of research...bravo ! We like to see that.

Pics of your enclosure will also help us give you feedback.

please consider a location in your profile. Networking with other local hobbyist is hugely beneficial.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Personally, this is what I love to see. A new hobbyists that has done their homework before purchasing any frogs. You have a much much better odds of having success than jumping in with both feet first and asking questions later. Good job!!
Jon
Welcome!

Sounds like you have really crossed all your T's and dotted all i's. Good to see you researching before jumping in!

I think Leucs would be excellent for your vivarium. They are a personal favorite of mine as well.
-Brian
Fine Spot Leucs, Bakhuis, Variabilis, Varadero, Fantastica, Green Sirensis
[Image: 5u8evuqu.jpg] tada!

Frogs, fish and soon to be ferrets!
Sounds like you have really crossed all your T's and dotted all i's. Good to see you researching before jumping in!
Are you interested in pass4sure discount code ? Get our self paced CITRIX and Yale University provide you study packages.
I just re-read this thread and I think you should rethink your substrate. It's probably better to go with a good ABG mix rather than the layered approach you have now.
Jon
Also the fogger coming on for 10 minutes, 6x a day seems like a lot. Remember weather and climate patterns in the wild, it varies. It's not a constant humidity all the time. I generally set my misters/fogggers to make it more humid in the morning and evening hours. During the middle of the day the humidity drops as the temps warm up. This is just the way I do it, and I also vary the humidity by season.
Jon
I have in fact changed it for only 3 times for a little less at night. I gave up on this particular one and turned it into a living viv for a crested gecko. I figured I'd try again with a new tank with all the new knowledge I've gained - Including ABG mix this time.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020