Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

New to the hobby, couple basic questions
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the hobby, couple basic questions
Well after reading almost every post in this forum i got acouple questions. I've decided on a 20-40 gallon vivarium with a false bottom, no moving water to keep it simple for my first time.

First question should i use a airstone to keep the water from stagnating?

Second i was planning to use hydroton for the bottom below the false bottom and coco-coir ontop with lots of planted moss and a plant or 2, does this sound like a good strategy?

What would be a sufficent light system for a 30 gallon? i was thinkin 2 20ish watt compact flouros.

Last question i've read about how the majority of frogs carry worms and the best bet is to get fecal samples, could i just skip the hassle of getting fecal samples and give the frogs panacur once a week for a month while there quarantined? Wheres a good source to get panacur for frogs?

Thanks for any help in advance guys!
moonshineman Wrote:Well after reading almost every post in this forum i got acouple questions. I've decided on a 20-40 gallon vivarium with a false bottom, no moving water to keep it simple for my first time.

First question should i use a airstone to keep the water from stagnating?

Second i was planning to use hydroton for the bottom below the false bottom and coco-coir ontop with lots of planted moss and a plant or 2, does this sound like a good strategy?

What would be a sufficent light system for a 30 gallon? i was thinkin 2 20ish watt compact flouros.

Last question i've read about how the majority of frogs carry worms and the best bet is to get fecal samples, could i just skip the hassle of getting fecal samples and give the frogs panacur once a week for a month while there quarantined? Wheres a good source to get panacur for frogs?

Thanks for any help in advance guys!

welcome
no airstone is needed. plants act as a biological filter. I like to add some duckweed or javamoss to the water area, and any driftwood or corkbark if you add it will also add some tannins to the water.

as for lighting, i have suspended shop lights on my racks and i believe they are t12's...t8's wont be bad either. they are cheap, but for single vivs, if you go to a local fish store, i get these t5 lighting but the one in this pic , the box is usually green at the store...similar, and near price i get.
http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Double-L ... 528&sr=8-3

i would either use a false bottom (eggcrate) or hydroton.

personally i would add in some cocohusk chips and maybe a bit of sphagnum moss to the soil but thats just me. I like to add some aeration.

a few more plants will be good. it helps filter out the system naturally and lets the frogs feel secure

there is a lot of debate about treating frogs without fecals
its kind of like if we try and treat ourselves with someone else's antibiotics
panacur doesnt treat every single parasite as far as i know, and its good to just get them checked out. it can be a bigger pain to treat if you dont have to. also you will want to know if you need to treat that it is passing any parasites. some parasites are a pain to get rid of. its best to send in a fecal to dr.frye and recheck.

kristy
Plus you`d need a final fecal to make sure you got them all. From what I`ve read it`s better to treat daily for 4 days in a row rather than spread them out. Better to consult Dr. Frye about that.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020