Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New!~
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and may be interested in keeping Dart Frogs as a new hobby. Smile I do, however, have a few questions first.

If, by accident, a wild frog was acquired or a captive bred frog was fed the food that helps them make the poison, how poisonous would the frog be? Could it be deadly?

Thanks a lot!
Welcome to Dart Den Frogsea !

No worries - it would be impossible to 'make' a Captive born frog toxic. We could not replicate the tiny insect toxins that they would eat in the wild. Impossible.

Even most wild caught dart frogs are not dangerous to humans. There are only some species in the Phyllobates Genera that are highly toxic and they would not be allowed to be imported unless for strict scientific or zoologic purposes.

So...no...and..no.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Welcome to the hobby and to DartDen!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Cool, thanks!

Can you recommend somewhere to purchase frogs to ensure that they were raised in captivity?

Now, captive bred Phyllobates would still be safe though, right?

Lastly, I was also curious as to which Darts will get along together, and how many will be happy in a certain size enclosure.

Thank you, I appreciate it!
joneill809 Wrote:Welcome to the hobby and to DartDen!
Thank you!
I would add a location to your profile and post a want to buy add. You should be able to find a local breeder or a breeder that can ship to you. This is a tough time of year for shipping with the heat so don't be surprised if many hobbyists won't ship until the fall. Check the vendor feedback section (DartDen has the most open and honest feedback section in the dart hobby) on any vendors or hobbyists you are looking to buy from and don't be shy about posting a question / request for feedback if you can't find any information. This is a pretty tight knit community so you will get opinions quickly. There are a lot of great breeders/hobbyists out there and a few that aren't. Just be sure you don't impulse buy before checking out the seller.

I'd browse the beginner section as well. There are quite a few threads (check the ones out first at the top with the blue thumbtacks - stickies) that cover questions on mixing (basically not advised) and recommended husbandry practices. In general, no mixing species and 10 gallons per frog. Some frogs may not do well in groups so it helps to narrow the field to the frogs you like then figure out what enclosure is best for them. Good luck!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Thanks for the quick and informative reply! Smile
frogsea Wrote:Cool, thanks!

Can you recommend somewhere to purchase frogs to ensure that they were raised in captivity?

Lastly, I was also curious as to which Darts will get along together, and how many will be happy in a certain size enclosure.

Welcome to the hobby!
I would recommend only 1 type (species or morph) of dart frog per enclosure. Especially for beginners. Many of the species can interbreed and create hybrids and that is not something we want in this hobby. Plus this gives you a chance to learn the behavior patterns for a particular species. This is a very important bit of knowledge in the overall husbandry of dart frogs.
There are many great topics here, tons of great information. Take your time and research things thoroughly before purchasing any frogs.
Jon
Rusty_Shackleford Wrote:
frogsea Wrote:Cool, thanks!

Welcome to the hobby!
I would recommend only 1 type (species or morph) of dart frog per enclosure. Especially for beginners. Many of the species can interbreed and create hybrids and that is not something we want in this hobby. Plus this gives you a chance to learn the behavior patterns for a particular species. This is a very important bit of knowledge in the overall husbandry of dart frogs.
There are many great topics here, tons of great information. Take your time and research things thoroughly before purchasing any frogs.

Thank you.

No worries, I plan on taking my time and doing lots of research before purchasing any frogs. Smile The same thing is suggested in the aquarium hobby (which I currently enjoy now) for the fish.

Thanks again everyone. You have all been so welcoming! It is greatly appreciated!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020