Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ok what's the deal with vitamins ?
Ok, I'm new to darts (but not to herps) and just acquired my first (d.tinc dwarf cobalt) last week and couldn't be happier. I'm pretty much got everything about this guy down except one thing that nobody really seems to agree on- vitamins.

Vitamin a, no vitamin a ?
Phosphorus, no phosphorus ?
How often to dust ?
Can I just use this reptivite I already have??!

Thanks guys. I did have one other questions but it doesn't have to do with vitamins so I'm going to start a new thread.
No Vitamin A. I have always used phosphorus free but have not heard too many negatives either way.
Ed
there are some folks who can give much more thorough answers (how 'bout ya frye brothers), but i can give the safe answer. Rep-cal (watch out, there are several products with similar names) and herpti-vit are the most recommended supplements. i do one then the other then skip supplementing for a day, or instead of supplementing i dust with paprika and spirulina/chlorella. i had a little too much fun convincing my boyfriend that the frogs had told me in a dream that their food was too bland. about the time he was convinced that i had totally lost my mind, i broke down and admitted that the paprika and spirulina are to enhance colors.
I am not a scientist. My brother did the research for the vits and cal. I use . I have had no problems associated with hyper or hypovitaminosis or the lack of calcium.
That being said, I use Rep-Cal (the brand name) . Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamins and Rep-Cal Phosphorus-Free Calcium with Vit.D3, equal portions, every feeding. I do not feed every day and the size of most of my vivs makes it very hard for the frogs to eat every fly I drop in a 24 or 48 hrs period of time. I know that a fly walking around an auto-misted viv for a day or so will not still be carrying the dust it started with.
Stay away from vit A products, and watch out gut loading crickets and such with foods (fish and other) high in Vit A , this will pass straight through to your frogs via the feeders.

Rep-Cal Herptivite;
Vitamins:
Vit E, Choline, Niacin, Inositol, Vit C, P-Amino Benzoic Acid, B1, B2, b6, Bete Carotene, d-Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Menadione, B12, and Biotin.

Aminos:
Alanine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid, Cysteine, glutamic Acid, Glycine, Histidine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Phenylalanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Tryptopan, Tyrosine, and Valine.

Minerals:
Calcium, Phosphorus, Salt, Magnesium, Potassium, Sulfur, Copper, Iodine, Iron, Manganese, Zinc.

The Rep-Cal Calcium with Vit.d3 is just that.

I think I busted your Spellcheck on this one Corey.

Hope this helps,
Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
RichFrye Wrote:I am not a scientist.

Ok, but thanks anyways for making this a Choline, Inositol, Benzoic Acid, Isoleucine friendly spell checker! Wink

Hey Mack, I'm going to convince my girlfriend I had the same dream you did about the frogs wanting the food spiced up! Thats awesome - hehe, but eh, can you tell me how to do it? I can't seem to find any recipes for adding parika. Just a pinch mixed with the vitamin supp?

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020