Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overmisting ?
How do I know if I'm over misting?

I mist the tank with filtered water from my fridge which I let sit out for a day uncovered. I use a small spray bottle with a mist nozzle and I spray all my wood till its looks wet and the substrate till it looks wet and I mist the leaves till they look wet. After closing the viv I have water running down the glass and fogging I just want to be sure I am not over misting and that the plants are getting good amounts of water.

Are there any vitamins we can add to help the plants grow?
I've also noticed white fuzzy mold growing on my background which is corkbark. I sprayed it I think it will disappear on its own.
Surrie
If you still have water of the sides of the glass for a day or longer, then you are ok. Use that as a gauge -eyeball it. Speaking of gauges, those cheapo zoomed or other 'Reptile' Gauges are complete crap and always inaccurate, especially for higher humidity like we tend to need for Dart Frogs. Don't buy those cheap circular gauges.

No vitamins or fertilizer is ever needed. Frog poop and viv microfauna will work all by itself and be enough.

All new vivs go through a fuzzy mold or even mushroom stage. It's normal and will end on its own at some point. No worries for the frogs.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
OK sounds good .. thanks phil

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Surrie
srod Wrote:How do I know if I'm over misting?

I'm sure this isn't a unanimous opinion, but unless you're going just plain crazy over-misting pretty much equals overwatering. In other words, it's a function of how well your viv drains, how fast your substrate saturates and drains, and what kind of plants you're keeping. TL;DR -- if the plants aren't suffering, you probably aren't overmisting.

srod Wrote:I mist the tank with filtered water from my fridge which I let sit out for a day uncovered. I use a small spray bottle with a mist nozzle and I spray all my wood till its looks wet and the substrate till it looks wet and I mist the leaves till they look wet. After closing the viv I have water running down the glass and fogging I just want to be sure I am not over misting and that the plants are getting good amounts of water.

If you're misting enough to get stuff wet every day and there are damp / wet areas in the viv (film canisters, deep leaves) the frogs are probably getting enough, although the roots of the plants may or may not be.

A great trick for learning how often to water container plants (and that can be translated into viv-keeping) is to stick a toothpick (broken chopstick, bamboo skewer, etc.) an inch or two into the substrate near the plant roots. If you pull it out and its damp (or cool) to the touch, it probably doesn't need watering. If it's dry, it does. The trick is to learn how to water just before it's dry :-)

srod Wrote:Are there any vitamins we can add to help the plants grow?

Vitamin Frog Poop works wonders :-) Pretty soon you'll be wondering why you didn't plan much slower growing plants.

(Seriously. I "trimmed up" seven vivs today, and threw away five full five gallon bucket-loads of overgrown foliage. And hopefully no frogs.)

srod Wrote:I've also noticed white fuzzy mold growing on my background which is corkbark. I sprayed it I think it will disappear on its own.

It will. Adding springtails will help also.
Am I suppose to move the leaf litter around when misting to mist under it or just misting the tank the way it is , is fine?
Surrie
no need to move anything. Just mist the tank as you see fit.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020