Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Panacur - Where to get it and how much to use for dusting?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panacur - Where to get it and how much to use for dusting?
Can anyone tell me on this---I saw some for treating dogs---is this the same stuff you use on frogs? I'm going to treat mine as a precaution before going into the tank.
I wouldn't recommend a 'shotgun' treatment of Panacur.

It would be best to get fecals and go with the vets recommendation on what and how to treat.
Sometimes shotgun treatments can do more harm than good.
OK, thanks for the advice. However, my question still remains----is this the same product that is used on dogs? Also, what is the dosage for a thumbnail frog and where can I send fecal samples to be tested?
Yes, it is the dog dewormer.

Panacur is the trade name for Fenbendazole.

What state are you in?

I don't know what fecal counts usually cost, but I have found someone on the outskirts of Austin, TX who is experienced with dart frogs. If you have some sort of directory of DVMs by state, that would be very helpful
This is a link to the listing of exotic vets in the state of Texas.

http://www.arav.org/Members/TX.htm

I would find one in your area and give them a call to see if they can help with an amphibian fecal.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Thanks alot, Cindy! I'll keep you posted when I find out.
dr. frye told me that panacur for dogs is not the same dosage as you need for your darts. you should really call dr. fryes office and order some. I would also recommend ordering the panacur, SSD, metronidazole, and the baytril as a first aid kit. all in all..that would come to 100.00. but the panacur is a treatment that is in powdered form....it is 8.00 by the spoonful from him.... it is a 4 week treatment ...all u do is dust the ff...his email is dr.frye.dvm@sbcglobal.net and specializes in darts and is the best in my opinion. He will be cheaper than going to the vet and more reliable as he specifically specializes in darts. going to an outside vet might give you false pos. or false neg. regarding fecals. he is out wed. but does return emails promptly. Do not use the dog dewormer. he prescribes meds over internet and you can send in fecal overnight or two day as long as they dont arrive on a wed when he is out. his fecals cost 18.00 and he is a better option in my opinion. I do all my fecals from him and i have all the meds available to me just in case as i stated as a first aid for darts. i ordered them as well as did a consult over the phone with him. he takes credit cards checks etc. I would rely on him more than any other vet concerning darts. his # is 734-439-2273...and susan you might want to pm me about this. kristy Big Grin
dendromom Wrote:Thanks alot, Cindy! I'll keep you posted when I find out.

Hey Cindy----Research Pet and Bird charges around $60, so I sent the fecals to Dr. Frye. He charges only $18 per sample, but you need to add on the fee to overnight-mail the sample.
kristy55303 Wrote:dr. frye told me that panacur for dogs is not the same dosage as you need for your darts. you should really call dr. fryes office and order some. I would also recommend ordering the panacur, SSD, metronidazole, and the baytril as a first aid kit. all in all..that would come to 100.00. but the panacur is a treatment that is in powdered form....it is 8.00 by the spoonful from him.... it is a 4 week treatment ...all u do is dust the ff...his email is dr.frye.dvm@sbcglobal.net and specializes in darts and is the best in my opinion. He will be cheaper than going to the vet and more reliable as he specifically specializes in darts. going to an outside vet might give you false pos. or false neg. regarding fecals. he is out wed. but does return emails promptly. Do not use the dog dewormer. he prescribes meds over internet and you can send in fecal overnight or two day as long as they dont arrive on a wed when he is out. his fecals cost 18.00 and he is a better option in my opinion. I do all my fecals from him and i have all the meds available to me just in case as i stated as a first aid for darts. i ordered them as well as did a consult over the phone with him. he takes credit cards checks etc. I would rely on him more than any other vet concerning darts. his # is 734-439-2273...and susan you might want to pm me about this. kristy Big Grin

Thanks Kristy---I sent them off to him and got a clean result. I appreciate the help!
YOU'RE WELCOME AS ALWAYS SUSAN!! Big Grin Big Grin KRISTY
Not only is Dr Frye great at helpingout with fecals but he helped me out with a frog with bloat and was so kind and helpful. All I had to do was send an e-mail with a photo of the frog. This was my first experience with a sick frog so I had a ton of questions and they didn't all pop into my head at once. He was very patient with me and answered my e-mails very quickly. I was able to speak with him once and I could tell that he doesn't just help us dart frog owners because he is a vet and it is his job, but he helps us because he genuinely (sp?) cares about the frogs. He told me straight up that my frog could or could not make it because bloat is a symptom of so many issues, some treatable and some not. I just lost my frog today but I would never hesitate to go to him for help with any frog issue I have in the future. The cost to send the fecal was $12.90, the fecal test was $18 and I wasn't even charged an office visit. The quotes for a vet to look at my frog here who wasn't experienced with frogs was $300.

Candy
good post candy...she is correct...any dart problems should really be handled through dr.frye as he is the most reliable and will also save you a great amount of money in the long run. sorry the dart died cindy...i have not experienced that yet..knock on wood.....but i'm sure we all will if we get into the hobby as heavily as cindy is. I'm starting to get into it heavily and have researched extensively with quite a bit of knowledge from research...from going to vet school...and from dr.frye...best resource in the world is dr.frye for darts...dont waste money going to a herp vet.....just because they deal with herps, doesn't mean they know as much about darts as dr.frye does and you'll waste money for nothing more than likely. good post candySmile Big Grin

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020