Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Pics of my First dart / first vivarium.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pics of my First dart / first vivarium.
Hi. I've been visiting the board here for a couple of months now and have been getting my reaserch and supplies together. Since last winter/ early spring. I am 34, married, work a 9-5 office job, and have a tornado of a two year old son. Herps have always been my pet choice unfortunately we also share our flat with my wifes two turd like cats. Don't get me wrong I like all animals. These two are the exception. Besides the appeal and coloration and habits of the frogs keeping the live plants also provides me with great pleasure. I always had ant infestations in my cricket cultures and in my tanks with dead crickets in the past. That seems to be in the past now. This tank is an 18 gallon high with 0.0.1 D. Azureus in it.
[Image: dsc024963mc.th.jpg]
[Image: dsc024949mq.th.jpg]
[Image: dsc024935wq.th.jpg]
[Image: dsc025421rd.th.jpg]
[Image: dsc025306yb.th.jpg]
woah very nice mate...This brings the question to me...I will have a foamed background covered by a layer of co co fiber subtrate...Can I take a peice of moss and like attatch it by little nails into the foam (you wont see nails) to get this look [Image: dsc024963mc.th.jpg]
Will the moss take on the co co fiber and grow around the back? or will it not attach to the foam/cocofiber
I don't know about it attaching it's self. This is pillow moss from T&C terrarium something I meant to mention in the reply to one of your posts I left earlier today. The under side of it looks like it's grown on coconut husks and maybe tree fern roots. Here's what I did. On my tree fern panel I mounted rehydrated dried sphagnum moss with little u shaped pieces of wire paper clips work to. I then placed the moss on top and pinned it on with satay skewers. I push them in as far as I could and then cut them at the level of the moss. It's very secure. The moss has grown together, gotten longer, and produced little plants (see 2nd pic between the broms). As far as moss attaching to stuff and growing on it from what i've read Java is the way to go. My technic is more of an instant gratification thing.
Tank looks good Smile What are your plans for the future of this tank if any? Were there any mistakes made or stuff you did the "hard way" that you'll know better for your next viv?
so I need java moss you think? I just want something to attach to my coco fiber covered foam
to add to the above post...I guess I could have one moss on the backwall (need a recommendation) and I can have a solid blanket of pillow moss for flooring..

think that work?
Hey Nate, If that is your name.
You may seriously want to do a few searches for some of these FAQs. You will have the benefit of more than just one or two frogger's opinions, seriously.
There are MANY posts already pertaining to all of your questions, so far. The "come on guys, why no answer after twenty minutes" is really going to get stale quick. Not trying to be rude, but as a couple others have suggested, search , compile a few questions (or more if possible, and so far it has been possible) into one thread , instead of twenty separate threads,and have a bit a patience.
Not sure if you read Kingsnake , but the SAME EXACT FAQs being asked every-other thread is not fun.

I am of the mind that no moss is good moss, go leaf litter.
Moss is pretty but does not offer the hiding spots that leaf litter does. It is also very hard to find South American moss.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
DOnt worry ill be gone soon

I rarely posted "comon guys" and plus is it hurtin you that I post so much? I tried to search the site more and more...but I find only one opion usually when I search....

So I try to get more on my own posts...
No reason to go anywhere, just expand your searches . An intro maybe?A lot of questions from someone we don't know .
And yes , it hurts to read the SAME QUESTIONS time, after, time. It hurts.

Nice looking viv Matthew.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Rich, Thanks for your compliment. It means alot. The vivariums and frogs at your's and your brothers site are quite an inspiration.

Jadedrapport, Thank your for your compliment and inquiry. I just planted a birds nest fern on the mid right hand side of the tank . Then behind that a few cuttings of the green creeping fig mixed in with the varigated already in the tank. The future I hope the c. figs. grows on the fern panel.
Once I find out the sex of my frog I will have two frogs in the viv.
My regrets are siliconing wood to the bottom of the tree fern panel which is now under soil. Also I used aquarium grade silicone to mount wood on the front and it hasn't held up. Also my broms mounted on the tree fern panel are getting too moist. Tha panel seems to really wick up moister from the substrate. I will try aquiring another piece of drift wood and mount them on it away from the panel. Any other suggestions?

Nate, I can't really give any recommendations on Java moss. I have no expierence with it I have just learned through posts I searched that it grows well and fast on many things.

Anyone, Brom tips please.
Quote:DOnt worry ill be gone soon
I really hope you don't go anywhere. Its great to have active posters, but just be sure and give some time for people to respond. If you do stick around I would love to hear the progress of your vivarium...hopefully with pics.

Quote:so I need java moss you think? I just want something to attach to my coco fiber covered foam
Java moss will not work for what you want. It will dry out way too fast up on the wall like that even in 80+% humidity and a spray twice a day.

Matthew, since the pannel seems to be stayin too wet for your broms...why not put some aquatic moss around the broms and rest of the pannel? Aquatic moss needs to stay wet and will redirect the moister away from your broms. On http://www.aquabid.com you can find loads of moss of all types really cheap.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020