Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic Plants ?
Hey guys I've got some thing on my mind regarding plants in my viv. I'm thinking of setting up another viv then I realized with my job I'm up to moving alot. I don't want to have to give my frogs away or have my plants die in my viv while moving. Is there a possibility of setting up an enclosure with fake plants and a live substrate and leaf litter to assist in easy moving and keeping some organic properties? Or is this just not a good idea? I'm looking for some insights from you guys before I get carried away loading up with frogs and vivs that I will have to sell when moving.
Surrie
Plastic plants will have no adverse affect on your substrate. I don't see a problem with your idea.
Everyone is welcome! Membership is free! Chicagoland Froggers
Another possibility is to root your plants in sphagnum moss stuffed into net pots (as used for hydroponics, etc.) You can either sit these on top of the substrate, or shove them down in, but either way they're easy to yank out and put in another container for easy moving, etc. You could also consider going with essentially disposable plants -- cuttings of common houseplants like pothos will grow like gangbusters in a viv, but you can toss them away and replace them for little or no cost; a discount store hanging planter of pothos will provide you with an ongoing source of cuttings for viv plants with very little effort.
I'm missing something here. You think that fake plants will help with an occasional move?
Vivs are pretty much self contained.
Plants add quite a bit to a viv. And fake ones only add visual barriers. Stick with plants that won't die when you look at them the wrong way , because your darts should not either, and you should be fine with a move in a climate controlled car every now and then. Think of all the guys who schlep frogs back and forth to shows every single weekend to sell.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
No I'm talking about military moves it's easy to move with frogs and temp tank spaces ... but there isn't room to move a viv and a family in a car.. especially with dogs.. um talking about taking the frogs out and keeping them I temporary containers till I can re set up their tanks. I look at it as it might be easier to use fake plants because of the time that the vivo could be in a storage or whatever not receiving the misting and light that they need. Just something I thought about

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
Surrie
What you should do is buy any type of sweater box, round 190oz tubs, etc. and put a decent layer of paper towels in the bottom, water that substrate until it's damp, not wet. Then add your leaf litter and a decent amount of pathos clippings, maybe some film cans. Do not, not not cut holes in the containers. With the pothos there will be no need for ventilation at all. Frogs will be just fine for quite some time like that. It's exactly what I use for quarantining frogs, and quarantining should last for quite a few weeks.
I generally choose plants that like low light and don't need much attention at all. So unless you chose some finicky orchids or the like a couple weeks with ambient light and water that is already in- viv you should be fine with real plants for everything.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Yes I know I'm talking about the live vivs they will die in storage.. of not being misted or getting the lighting they need but I will Def remove the frogs and keep them with me. I just thought fake plants would save me money but then cheap plants will also be OK like chuck suggested I suppose. You get what I mean rich?

Surrie
Added to my last post.

Oh OK that sounds good

Surrie
If moving is a high probability and worrying about transport, storage, temporary enclosures and live or plastic plants is looming large on yer mind...

Maybe you should wait a while until you feel more stable. I had to transfer and sell my entire 40 vivarium frog room due to moving. I guess it's a hard decision to make.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Wow 40 that's a lot I think I will be good with 3.. lol

Surrie
You could always start small with one single 15 gallon enclosure with a pair of frogs and that whole kit an' kaboodle can be moved in the car ride to the new duty station.

I have one viv with my veradero and I have 2 10gal that I'm thinking of converting to verticals and getting some pumilio

Surrie
Go bigger than 10s for pums.

10 gallons is really too small for almost anything other than a grow-out IMO , especially for newer hobbyists. Once you get done hardscaping and planting a 10 gallon size enclosure, you are left with only about 6-8 gallons of usable frog-space for TWO frogs.

I see ...

Surrie
I decided to go with real plants and a exo terra 18x18x18 than for the input guys.
Surrie

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020