Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Poll - Do you now have or ever had a mixed species tank?
Poll: Do you now or have you ever had a mixed PDF tank
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I have never had, nor will I ever have a mixed PDF tank
66.07%
37 66.07%
I have never had, but someday would like to have a mixed PDF tank
14.29%
8 14.29%
I have had a mixed PDF tank in the past but currently do not
8.93%
5 8.93%
I have had a mixed PDF tank in the past, currently do not, but will have in the future
0%
0 0%
I currently have a mixed PDF tank
8.93%
5 8.93%
I have had darts and other herps together in one tank.
1.79%
1 1.79%
Total 56 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll - Do you now have or ever had a mixed species tank?
I've often wondered how many people have attempted a mixed tank. Its a hot topic in the hobby, always has been, but I've always kind of wondered how many people have them but don't admit it. I figured an anonymous poll would be the best way to get an idea of how many people have, or have had one. I know that some people keep juvies together, I would like to exclude that from the poll.
Derek

p.s.: This thread is part of the contest, in case you "stumbled" onto it and did not come to it thru the contest link.
1.5 kids and a bunch of frogs
I'll just add this....remember....all Poll answers are anonymous. There is no way that even admins or Mods can see who voted and what choice they made.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
I really wish there was a way for the poll to span the forums. I'd like to get as large a cross section of the hobby as possible.
Yes, I know its a contest Big Grin , but I think it would be good to know how prevalent mixing is in the hobby and a poll like this may be the only way to find out.
Derek
your Poll is getting decent attention, Derek.

Here's a cross thread to reference (get it ? CROSS thread) for those that wish a little more info on "Mixing", Crossing, ect.

general-questions-f12/hybridizing-cross-breeding-and-mixing-dart-frogs-t4470.html

We really, truely, do not know how big of an issue it is in the hobby. Granted, there are ALOT of nubes asking questions about it, but how deep and far does it really go? Thats kind of what im after.
I like seeing that people are responding, should give us a good idea (hopefully)
Derek
When i first got into the hobby that was my intention but after reading the philosophies behind it i changed my mind.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
I tried to think of all the options but forgot that one Sad
I think alot of people start out that way.
I do have a mixed tadpole bin...does that count :mrgreen:

I have at least 4-5 free range tadpoles in teh bottom of my tadpole cup bin. I forgot I had some developing tads and 2 cups from different vivs tads wiggled their way out of their film cans down into the water below.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Depends on how you want to cast your vote.
One question for you though D3, based on your shipping thread, if I win do I have to drive to Minooka?
Derek
Only if you wan't to come check out the frog room :mrgreen:
A little personal experience;

post9562.html?hilit=mixed viv#p9562
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Minooka sounds like it should be in Alaska somewhere, not Illinois :mrgreen:
Keep in mind with the invite, if I come, the kids come with me, all 1.4.1 (which would include my wife i guess with the .1 on the end :? )
Quote:Only if you wan't to come check out the frog room

I remember reading that thread Rich, its a different perspective, "I have a mixed tank, then I put a dart in it" kind of thing.
Derek
DKOOISTRA Wrote:I remember reading that thread Rich, its a different perspective, "I have a mixed tank, then I put a dart in it" kind of thing.
Derek

Different how? I delve into two actual cases I mixed dart frogs species in large vivs , with what I would call zero 'success'.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
The part where you listed out the variety of microfauna you have in the tank, thats what I was getting at.
A "mixed" bug tank, with a dendrobate in it, the opening paragraph. There is a lot of good info in that thread, as well as the one Phil posted.
Derek
DKOOISTRA Wrote:Minooka sounds like it should be in Alaska somewhere, not Illinois :mrgreen:
Keep in mind with the invite, if I come, the kids come with me, all 1.4.1 (which would include my wife i guess with the .1 on the end :? )
Quote:Only if you wan't to come check out the frog room

Thats fine they can play with my 2.1. I bought a big arse foldable gate system so I can Coral them all in the playroom.
Sorry for getting a bit off topic. Back on topic...
The poll has been going for about a day, I've been watching and it seems to be hovering at about 30% for the people who have or have had mixed tanks. Is this suprising to anyone? It will be interesting to see if the numbers hold to that.
Derek
I like to think that our polls are a "little more accurate" than most....

I think some of the other places have kiddies voting without understanding and/or people deliberately skewing the polls.

I'm 99% sure that when I created the poll that I saw a check box for allowing multiple votes. I believe I set it up so that a person could only vote 1x. Is it possible to check that Phil?
I think its accurate, I dont think anyone on here would deliberately jack up a column (if they could).
So far, I am suprised. I didnt think that it would be that high. Thats 1 in 3 people who have voted.
Derek
DKOOISTRA Wrote:I'm 99% sure that when I created the poll that I saw a check box for allowing multiple votes. I believe I set it up so that a person could only vote 1x. Is it possible to check that Phil?
I think its accurate, I dont think anyone on here would deliberately jack up a column (if they could).
So far, I am suprised. I didnt think that it would be that high. Thats 1 in 3 people who have voted.
Derek

You created the Poll correctly- only one vote per registered member. Guests cannot vote and no one can vote twice or even change their vote, once cast.

Where are you getting your statistics that "1 in 3 people have voted" ?

I picked the "someday" option. I only keep single species vivs at the moment, but I've had some ideas for a big biotope display with a dart species and a small tree frog species floating around in the back of my mind for a while.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020