Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Poll - leucomelas or azureus?
Poll: If you had to choose which would it be?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Leucomelas
69.23%
9 69.23%
Azureus
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll - leucomelas or azureus?
Having trouble deciding !
Azureus - Imitators "Cainarachi Valley" - Leucomelas - Black Jeans
dynekevin Wrote:Having trouble deciding!!
Are these your first frogs? What size tank have you got for them?
Mike
-- Google is nifty. Please use it BEFORE getting a pet. --
They are my 2nd, i currently have 3 imitators.

They are going in a 40gallon breeder that i am currently building
In that case, I voted for leucs. They are awesome frogs, get along great in groups and have a really nice call.

Good luck deciding!
Mike
-- Google is nifty. Please use it BEFORE getting a pet. --
haha thanks, i was leaning towards them as well
Care and enclosure requirements are VERY similar for both species.....some differences:

Leucs:

1. Loud call
2. Can be more of a "group" frog
3. Climb a bit more at adult age
4. Females not as agressive as Azureus

For a 40 gallon breeder - you could have a 3.1 or 2.2 group of leucs. I had 2.2 azureus in a moderately planted 40 breeder viv and the 2 females would wrestle a lot and breeding was not optimal due to the aggression.

Azureus:

1. Very quite call
2. Better kept in pairs of 1.1
3. Females are aggressive towards each other
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Philsuma Wrote:Care and enclosure requirements are VERY similar for both species.....some differences:

Leucs:

1. Loud call
2. Can be more of a "group" frog
3. Climb a bit more at adult age
4. Females not as agressive as Azureus

For a 40 gallon breeder - you could have a 3.1 or 2.2 group of leucs. I had 2.2 azureus in a moderately planted 40 breeder viv and the 2 females would wrestle a lot and breeding was not optimal due to the aggression.

Azureus:

1. Very quite call
2. Better kept in pairs of 1.1
3. Females are aggressive towards each other

Thanks phil, im aware of most of this yet still stumped. If i go with azureus i would most likely buy a proven/probable pair. If i go with leucomelas ill probably buy 3-4 leucomela froglets.

Still stumped though, would appreciate more votes and if you have an opinon on why you like that one better i would be glad to hear about it =)

thanks!
I love Tincs and have a LOT, but if I could only keep one viv full of frogs out of all the frogs I have know, it would be our Leucs.

They're more active than Tincs.

They use the whole tanks on a regular basis. Yep, Tincs climb, but not as much as Leucs.

The call...It's very nice!

They are very active even after lights out. Our Tincs generally find a place to bed down before the lights go off.

You can spot them anywhere even when they're under cover. They tend to take cover, but have their noses sticking out. They don't want to miss anything.

They're communal.

Our Leucs sleep at the top of the tank. The lights come on and it's 1,2,3,4,5, yep, there they are.

Made up your mind yet? :mrgreen:
Glenn
frogfreak Wrote:I love Tincs and have a LOT, but if I could only keep one viv full of frogs out of all the frogs I have know, it would be our Leucs.

They're more active than Tincs.

They use the whole tanks on a regular basis. Yep, Tincs climb, but not as much as Leucs.

The call...It's very nice!

They are very active even after lights out. Our Tincs generally find a place to bed down before the lights go off.

You can spot them anywhere even when they're under cover. They tend to take cover, but have their noses sticking out. They don't want to miss anything.

They're communal.

Our Leucs sleep at the top of the tank. The lights come on and it's 1,2,3,4,5, yep, there they are.

Made up your mind yet? :mrgreen:

Haha that's awesome! Between you and the votes its looking slim to none for the azureus =)
Haha!

One more thing. If you have a group and they're courting, it can go on ALL day long. Tincs get right down to it. lol
Glenn
Another BIG factor....who do you know that's close-by and a breeder ?

SUPPORT your local breeders. They will GIVE you stuff and drop dead prices. Not to mention, it's a great way to make new and local friends.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
lol!

The only local breeder i know of is Demonic. He primarily works with thumbnail species and i am very happy with the 3 i got from him. I plan to get a couple more later on =)

As for larger species i am not familiar with any breeders are here. But there is the wheaton expo and demonic had some kind words about the guy there. I figured i would go to him. He had leuc and azureus last time i was there =)
Get in touch with Pete Mertens, he can hook you up!

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020