Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post your macro set ups!
I am interested in what other folks are using to take hand-held macro shots in their vivs. We use a Lumix GF2 (APC sensor micro four thirds) with an olympus conversion ring. Also important is an inexpensive "vintage" 35mm size lens....an Olympus OM prime lens (50mm/3.5) from B & H photo. After a couple more trips to B and H the person at the used desk pulled about 20 vintage lenses for me to look at. I chose a couple nice canon lenses that I will be testing soon. B and H has a great 30 day return period which makes it easy to try lenses :mrgreen:

An LED battery powered ringlight that attached to the hot shoe is must for getting good macro shots in a viv in my opinon. Without a diffuser the ring light can be too bright. I found a ring light at B and H for $35.00 and will make a diffuser for it. The ringlights with the included diffuser started at $300.00 which I found quite expensive, considering a diffuser can be easily constructed.
This, almost always without the ring flash. 100mm macro. In-viv shots are OK without a flash now, sometimes.

[Image: IMG_1262.jpg]
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Pictures of my micro four thirds macro combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that 50mm a true 1:1 macro? Can't read the max ap. on it, what's the max? Is that 2.5 or 3.5?

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Max app is 3.5. On 35mm it is a 1:1 lens. On micro four thirds, slightly different I think?

RichFrye Wrote:Is that 50mm a true 1:1 macro? Can't read the max ap. on it, what's the max? Is that 2.5 or 3.5?

Rich

blocker institute Wrote:Max app is 3.5. On 35mm it is a 1:1 lens. On micro four thirds, slightly different I think?

RichFrye Wrote:Is that 50mm a true 1:1 macro? Can't read the max ap. on it, what's the max? Is that 2.5 or 3.5?

Rich

That's not a fast lens , which is why you need the flash for low light stuff. I'm not sure how putting it on a 4/3s effects it, but I'm sure it won't make a faster lens.
I've found after playing around with my ring flash that most darts are way too shiny to get a good natural looking pic. If you can find a true macro with a max aperture in the '2s' , 2.5 or 2.8 (larger still if you can find one that will convert for your camera...I've seen lens larger still , 1.2, 1.4 , but they were not macros ) you'll find low light shots acceptable.
The below were shot with a 100mm 2.8 macro with no extra lighting , in fact the lighting is almost non-existent very low lighting. The pics are a bit soft, but acceptable I guess. None have been cropped.

[Image: MP9O1947.jpg]

[Image: MP9O1116.jpg]

[Image: MP9O1112.jpg]

Rich

I agree, its not a fast lens. It does produce incredible shots though! A canon 85mm/1.8 is the next test subject.......
This little thing takes some pretty good macros also, but with the 1D I really have a hard time justifying using it . It's a nice carry around for when the DSLRs are too much. Got a 24-110 2.5 on it.

[Image: MP9O3384.jpg]

I bet! I have never used a Leica....someday maybe!

RichFrye Wrote:This little thing takes some pretty good macros also, but with the 1D I really have a hard time justifying using it . It's a nice carry around for when the DSLRs are too much. Got a 24-110 2.5 on it.

Canon T2i with Canon 100mm Macro I have a cheap led macro ring light but never need to use it.

[Image: IMG_1545.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1549.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1750.jpg]

Finally picked up a copy of digital photagraphy for dummies so I can actually learn what I am doing :wink:
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
I use a Nikon D3100 with a Tamron sp 90mm f/2.8 macro 1:1
Not the most ideal set up but it works ok. I have to manually focus since the lens does not have a built in motor.
I'm still learning to use it all but I'm getting there.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND][ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND][ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Garrick H.
Can you post some shots you have taken with that equipment?

hutch0203 Wrote:I use a Nikon D3100 with a Tamron sp 90mm f/2.8 macro 1:1
Not the most ideal set up but it works ok. I have to manually focus since the lens does not have a built in motor.
Can you post some shots you have taken with that camera? And also comment about your personal experiences with that Leica?

RichFrye Wrote:This little thing takes some pretty good macros also, but with the 1D I really have a hard time justifying using it . It's a nice carry around for when the DSLRs are too much. Got a 24-110 2.5 on it.

blocker institute Wrote:Can you post some shots you have taken with that equipment?

hutch0203 Wrote:I use a Nikon D3100 with a Tamron sp 90mm f/2.8 macro 1:1

Did my pics not show up?
Garrick H.
The pics are showing up fine Garrick. Good stuff too.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
blocker institute Wrote:Can you post some shots you have taken with that camera? And also comment about your personal experiences with that Leica?

Just a few quick , not great, shots of a female esperanza . 16:9 ratio with no flash , soft box with one CF. No crop or PP.
I don't use this camera as much as I'd like, it's a back-up.

[Image: L1020659.jpg]

[Image: L1020660.jpg]

[Image: L1020664.jpg]

Hey Rich - just digging around DD to figure out how you continue to produce such stunning images! Looks like the soft box is key - I have a 100 mm 2.8 Canon on a 40D and I find the ring flash convenient but harsh. I may have to give the soft box a go. I do like the alsays on ring flash - seems to disturb the frogs less but I would like a more evenly lit image. Thanks for the setup details.

Are you still primarily using the 1D and 24-110?
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
joneill809 Wrote:Hey Rich - just digging around DD to figure out how you continue to produce such stunning images! Looks like the soft box is key - I have a 100 mm 2.8 Canon on a 40D and I find the ring flash convenient but harsh. I may have to give the soft box a go. I do like the alsays on ring flash - seems to disturb the frogs less but I would like a more evenly lit image. Thanks for the setup details.

Are you still primarily using the 1D and 24-110?

Hi, I rarely use the soft box any more, sometimes, but usually not.
I have a Leica D-Lux 3 and use the ID mkii with the 100mm 2.8 also.
I remove the frogs from vivs most all the time and put them under a CPF 23 watt natural daylight. Take lots of pics and know what to crop.
The 24-110 is stock on the Leica P+S.

Just looked up the Leica - very impressive/sharp images for a P+S! I don't have the confidence built up yet to remove and handle my two frogs outside the vivarium yet...I have worked up the courage to open the front door for better shots though Smile I may add an external light source and give that a go and see if I can soften the lighting. I've got an 80mm 1.8 portrait lens that I could probably use here with some cropping as well...I've just gotten into a funk using the 100 macro with the frogs/eggs/tads. Thanks for the tips!
Jim from Austin | https://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/
fantastica nominant | summersi | reticulata | A barbotini
Hi,

Spent 5 weeks in Panama and Costa Rica with a Canon 40D + Canon 100 f2.8 macro + ST E2 + (2x) Canon 580EX.
The 2 Canon 580EX were really needed when shoooting f13 or f16!

Right now, I shoot with a canon 5d MK III and a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro and I am just very happy Wink

Here is a Pumilio @ Loma Partida in 2008
Canon 40D + Canon 100 f2.8 at F5.6

[Image: loma.jpg]

K.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020