Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QUARANTINE & FECALS are a MUST!
ok, im not ranting here or anything, but qurantine and fecals are a must and my recent frog additions proved it!
i bought several frogs over the past few months from 2 separate and very good breeders.
(Lets make this clear, i am in no way saying ANYTHING bad about the breeders. they are awesome people who i will continue to do business with and recomend to others.)
I have had the frogs in quarantine for at least 2 months and in two separate tanks. i had a fecal done today, since it was time to move them into a big plannted vivarium together. well my vet called me and told me there are roundworms, hookworms, and the "dreaded" coccidia in the samples. only one problem, he mixed the samples together. so i have to take new samples to determine which frogs have which parasites.
looks like my frogs wont be moving into their new vivarium anytime soon.
be careful and have your frogs fecals done no matter what. i have got clean frogs from one of the breeders before and the other breeder had actuallly wormed my frogs just before i got them, so this stuff can stick around.
i will most likely add more to this later, but i just wanted to further back up the quaratine proceedure b/c it saved all my frogs from getting coccidia! i would have hated to have accidentally given that to my breeding pair of Leucs!
1.1.1 Hawaiian Auratus (reticulated), 1.2.2 Leucomelas, 3.2.1 Cobalt Tincs, 1.0.0 Kauluha & Creme / Camo Auratus, 2.0.1 Yelloback Tincs, 0.0.4 Azureus, 1.1.0 Spotted Auratus
I totally agree...it's a shame that fecals and a long QT period are not standard in this hobby yet. I'm guessing that only 15-20% of froggers actually follow this drill completely. If everyone excepted the high likliness that their frogs have one thing or another, and have fecals run and treated the parasites, so many posts like "my frog is dying and i don't know why" would be avoided, and slowly the overall parasite % in the hobby could be reduced.

Luke
update:
this is from the same two viviariums i have been trying to test in the original post.
fecal samples test#1 (last week): positive for parasites, but individual results got mixed up, re-test needed.
fecal samples test#2 (monday): no parasites found at all in either sample. re-test.
fecal samples test#3 (today): no parasites found at all in either sample. re-test next week.

my vet believes the parasites may be shedding in cycles so we have to wait to get another good sample. just shows you need to take fecals several times over at least 2 weeks to get an accurate result (as has already been mentioned by others). i will add the results when i finally get something conclusive.
1.1.1 Hawaiian Auratus (reticulated), 1.2.2 Leucomelas, 3.2.1 Cobalt Tincs, 1.0.0 Kauluha & Creme / Camo Auratus, 2.0.1 Yelloback Tincs, 0.0.4 Azureus, 1.1.0 Spotted Auratus
update:
this is from the same two viviariums i have been trying to test in the original post.

fecal samples test#4 (yesterday) sample #1, nematode eggs were found, sample #2, one possible cocidia. medicines are planned. i will know more Friday.
Thank you for the info! I will be sure to have my frogs fecal tested first thing. I have an awesome vet who specializes in exotics and has been published in Reptile magazine- VERY COOL VET!!! Not only can I trust him with my valuable dogs but my frogs too! Will anyone be at the Rep. show in Costa Mesa at the end of the month???
Smile
very cool jen,

my vet is very impressed with the fact that i care this much about my animals and am making an attempt at responsible husbandry. i am sure the same goes for you. you might want to share the name of your vet and location so that others in or near your area know a good vet to take frogs too.

~Lauren
Hi Lauren-
Dr Tom Greek. He is located in Yorba Linda/Anaheim. He works at the Yorba Regional Animal Hospital: 8290 E. Crystal Drive, Anaheim CA 92807 ph.# 714-921/8700... He is an AWESOME vet!
update:

after my vet had consulted with another vet that works with darts, they figured that the nemotode eggs and parasites found in sample#1 were lungworms . the vet told me that lungworms were hard to get rid of in darts. so, i'm debating treatment. anyone had any experience with lungworms?
the frogs (sample#2) that have been confirmed wth coccidia will have no treatment and will be kept together in their new vivarium.

ok, that was my frog fecal fiasco. now, to pay the debt with my vet!
Hi,
Lungworms can be cured with Panacur (consult your vet about the load of worms, if it is HUGE you need to proceed with caution).
Good luck.
Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020