Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about fecal tests
Questions about fecal tests.

I’m researching dart frog husbandry and have found several mentions of performing fecal analyses on frogs. I’m wondering if the experts can answer some of my questions.

1.) Who does the analysis? Are you guys bringing fecal samples to the vet? If so, how much does this typically cost (please include your area as veterinary costs here in south eastern NY are typically much higher than other areas).
2.) Do you always do an analysis or is it O.K. to just do a prophylactic treatment of new arrivals. If so, what drugs are used and where are they obtained?
3.) Does anyone do fecal analyses on their own? If so, what is involved?
4.) How many consecutive clean fecal analyses does it take to consider a frog clean?
5.) Do people have problems with reinfection from food or substrate items?
6.) Are there vendors who sell frogs/frogletts with a clean sample or two behind them?
7.) When does contamination occur, egg, tadpole, froglett?
8.) What parasites are typical in the captive dart frog hobby?

Thanks to every and anyone who can provide answers in whole or in part,

Cheers,
Chris
Hi Chris,

1. My brother does my fecals, I belive he still charges $15 per fecal (which would be per viv , as if one has junk, they all do).
His contact info is on the website.

2. Always do fecals. How else do you know what to treat for? Different parasites need different treatment.
Panacur (dewormer) is the only drug I use prophylactically due to its effectiveness and safe qualities.

3. I have looked through a scope (and watched other froggers do the same) and been told what was what. It is my opinion that fecals are best left to a vet.

4.Fecals are not the end-all ,be-all , of medicine, but they are the best-cheapest way to get an idea of what is going on with the health of your frogs.
I usually quarantine for about a month and take two or three fecals. If a frog has three consecutive negative fecals , I consider it "clean".

5. Yes.

6.Yes.

7. That depends if the parent frogs are being treated for something or not.
If the parents are infested with a nasty , contagious, parasite and are not being treated, stomping around a ten gal, hydrating the eggs, it is much more likely to have contamination at earlier stages.

8. Coccidia (non-curable , at this time), Hook worms, and Lung worms.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020