Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Ranitomeya lamasi differences - Standard, Green legged ect
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranitomeya lamasi differences - Standard, Green legged ect
I have read many adds, posts, and questions refereing to Green Legged Panguana Lamasi as Green Legged Lamasi.
There are Standard Lamasi and there are Panguana Lamasi. Almost everyone knows what a true , Standard Lamasi looks like. Any other Lamasi out there is a Panguana, be it green legged , "drab" legged, orange bodied, red bodied, gold bodied, green bodied, ect. it is a Panguana Lamasi. There is one major site for Standard Lamasi and many collection sites for many different color phases/morphs of Panguana Lamasi.
Just thought I should bring this up.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Thanks for bringing this up..
I agree with your statement that the green legged lamasi that came over from Germany are not the same as "standard" lamasi, and that people should not attempt to sell them as such. I don't agree with the second part though. The "original" panguana lamasi are from the panguana research station, there are all sorts of different integrates around that area. The green legged lamasi were collected from a site very close to the D. flavovittatus locale, and were originally sold in Europe as such. That locale is much closer to the flavovittatus and "standard" lamasi locale than it is to the panguana locale, so classing them as panguanas is not necessarily accurate. There are some lamasi that look like a mix between the “standardâ€
Thanks Alexander. Very interesting.
Being that they are all the same species, it would seem we may have to categorize them in much the same way as Pumilio?
The highland morph with an X on its back characteristically and consistently have Xs on their backs? I have noticed a number of my Standards that morph out with Xs and/or ,at times ,what I refer to a "rice" pattern.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Yes, exactly. I really think we need to just treat them as pumilio, instead of using fairly arbitrary names. I am fine with distinguishing between highland and lowland lamasi, but the only standard thing about "standard" lamasi is that they came to the US first. I think using locales would be perfect, but I realize that sometimes it is best not to reveal the locales. General locations would be fine.

Alexander
I would say that "Standard Lamasi" is to the lamasi group what a Pope Island (fairly random choice) is to Pumilio, in some ways. Definitely a different morph, very different breeding habits, different local than other morphs.

Rich

Good thread, especially since the Standards are continuing to be very popular.
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Any picture someone could post of a Standard Lamasi and Panguana Lamasi would be awesome. Especially a picture that shows the difference in the two.
Need a Website? PM Me for more information.

Recent Hobby Clients - DartDen.com, Rainforestherps.com
A year or two ago I remember the panguana and green legged lamas became readily available....and price dropped.

Where are they now? I feel like I haven't seen too many for sale lately.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020