Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Reuse an old Viv or Start with New ?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reuse an old Viv or Start with New ?
When you guys tear down an existing viv and want to start over using the same tank. How do you go about removing the GS Foam? Do you just cut away until you get to the glass and then use a razor blade? I want to rebuild my 25gal tall. I am not happy with it at all!
yeah, GS comes off really easily. i've never torn out a whole tank, but done plenty of carving and scraping off of glass to tidy up.

hopefully you are putting the same frogs back into the tank. if not remember not to re-use anything porous, as parasites and pathogens will also be transferred.

for disinfecting non-porous surfaces (glass etc) check out this article that patty slayton posted:

I found some more detailed information on the use of bleach as a disinfectant. Here I am quoting from the letters to the editor section of Microbe, June, 2006--The News Magazine of the American Society for Microbiology, vol 1 # 6.

This was from Norman Miner, MicroChem Laboratory, Euless, TX.

"Cecil H. and Michele H. Fox point out the disinfecting properties of inexpensive bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite) as an important germicide to help control the spread of influenza (or any other communicable virus, bacteria or fungus) (Microbe, April 2006, p. 159). A few more details might help for the effective use of diluted bleach as an antiseptic and disinfectant. Bleach is sold as a stable alkaline solution with a pH value of about 11 or 12. At this alkaline pH value, virtually all of the bleach is in the form of the chlorite ion (OCl-). At an acidic pH value of about 6.0 to 6.8, 90% of the bleach is in the form of hypochlorous acid (HOCl). Hypochlorous acid is 80 to 200 times more antimicrobial than the chlorite ion. Thus a simple formula to prepare an effective antimicrobial dilution of bleach is to add 2.0 oz of concentrated bleach to one gallon of tap water, and then add 2.0 oz of 5% distilled white cooking vinegar, also inexpensive and commonly available, to lower the pH of the bleach to about 6.0. This will yield about 800 ppm free available chlorine from hypochlorous acid. Use this acidified bleach in well-ventilated areas as there will be a mild odor of chlorine. The acidified bleach must be prepared fresh daily. Protect eyes and mucous membranes. Never add ammonia to bleach. Follow the safety directions as found on the bleach label. "
Thanks for the info!! Luckily there were no darts in this tank only plants.
Great info Mack, thanks for sharing!
oh no,

like i mentioned in the post this info comes thanks to patty slayton. i just re-posted it on this board cuz it's the handiest trick i've heard yet.

mack

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020