Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sexing Dendrobates leucomelas
I got 2 D. leucomelas for valentines day, and we were told that they were a male and a female. We were told that we could tell their sex by their color. Is that true and if not how can we sex them. One is orange and the other is mostly yellow with orange tint on its back.

Thanks
Lana
Lana,
possibly what the person you got the frogs from meant by you could tell their sex by their color was they may have seen the male call and noticed it was a different color / pattern than the other leucomelas.
Leucomelas are easiest to sex by hearing or seeing the male call. As mature frogs there will be a noticeable size difference between the male and female, witht he females being rather plump, and the males will be a little smaller and slimmer.

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
www.texasdartfrogs.org
thank you for the help. I havn't heard any calls from either of them. My husband wants to know if we could stick a male in with the two of them.
How old are the leucs?
What size vivarium do you have them in?

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
www.texasdartfrogs.org
I got them in feb. of 2005 from the pet store not sure how old they were, but they were pretty small. and I have a 55 gallon seperated in to 3 sections.
So there is a possibility that these frogs are not even a year old yet??
Sounds interesting how the person you bought them from was able to sex them at a young age!?! I think someone may have been telling you what you wanted to hear so they could sell some frogs.

Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
www.vivariumconcepts.com
www.texasdartfrogs.org
they should be calling soon if their gonna. 9mo. to 18mo. is maturity im told, if you got em in feb, and their not calling soon, then find a male, but make sure that each frog has about 5+gal. each for space and you should be alright. i Have four that are just around 9-10mo. and i havent heard any calling yet. but all four seem very fat and plump, so im a little worried too. i might need a couple male here pretty soon myself !!
thanks for the info still no calling keep hoping there just shy,time to start looking for a male

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020