Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Sharing more artwork- Hope you don't mind!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing more artwork- Hope you don't mind!
I've got some down time coming up next month since I am due have surgery on Dec 15th, so I'm setting myself up with a bunch of projects to keep me busy while I'm supposed to keep off my feet for a few days. (Like that is really going to happen with 3 children to take care of! LOL)
Of course, since I have my art materials out I've gotten a head start on some Christmas gifts.
Here's a graphite pencil portrait of my Daughters K4 teacher I've been working on tonight. This woman has been so wonderful and has taught both our boys as well, so I wanted to do something special for her. It needs a lot of work on the hair- but that's one thing I've NEVER been good at!
Original Photo-
[Image: Untitled-2.jpg]
3 hours in-
[Image: drawing.jpg]
3.25 hours in-
[Image: drawingedit1.jpg]
[Image: 45hoursinfinished.jpg]
Looks amazing. We still have the one you did for us hanging on the wall.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Thanks Jeremy Smile It's really neat that I've run into someone who has one of my drawings!
Beautiful, you are very talented! Such a sweet little face too. Smile
Lisa
In central NY

R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' 2.3.0
R. Imitator 'Cainarachi Valley' Froglets 8 and counting.
Your doing a great job! Portraits are very difficult - my grandmother was a portrait painter and instructor by profession - She taught me to paint, but I do landscapes and still life via Oil medium.
Scott - North Dallas
Lisa-
Thank you! And I agree, she is a cutie.

RanaVenenosa-Painting is something I have always admired! Capturing things in color is a great gift.
I have tried painting with acrylics a few times, but never really caught too much onto it. Thank you for your complement, hearing kind words from another artist is always wonderful.
Nice work kido,if you like working in pencil but like the colour aspect have you ever thought about trying coloured pencils.
I use the Derwent range made by cumberland graphics,set over sone coloured card,product of choice is a board called Ingres board,they retain more opacity than normal crayons on paper. Its a great medium to try abit timeconsuming as the whole working method is based around working from light to dark and overlaying colour,over hard stokes of white,which become the highlights,good fun though
Stu
Thanks Stu!
I've played around with those exact pencils you are talking about. I'd need a lot more practice, but I'd love to try doing some colored pieces. I did one of a tulip for a senior project that didn't turn out TOO bad. I think I got a high B on it Smile I've been saying I'd like to try stippling again. So I think I'll work on a 5x7 of an imitator and see how that works out.

Drawing of any kind is very enjoyable!

Kim
dreamcatcer98 Wrote:Thanks Stu!
I've played around with those exact pencils you are talking about. I'd need a lot more practice, but I'd love to try doing some colored pieces. I did one of a tulip for a senior project that didn't turn out TOO bad. I think I got a high B on it Smile I've been saying I'd like to try stippling again. So I think I'll work on a 5x7 of an imitator and see how that works out.

Drawing of any kind is very enjoyable!

Kim
I'm very sporadic with it Kim and frighteningly slow,i stuggle with the lines,but colour is easier for me,my darling is the exact opposite her lines her drawing is awsome yet she also struggles with colour,strange isn't it. well done on your tulip mate,i had to do art in my dinnertimes as they wouldn't let me do it in class,i was all science based and everthing clashed. can't wait to see your next imi. Kim see if you can get some of that coloured card to go with those pencils.I stole the technique from an artist called Brian Carter,he is Based in Devon and used to exhibit at a gallery at mortonhampsted in Dartmoor,worth seeing if you can find him,amazing work,real inspiring.Kim can i show you a couple of pics,they might make what i'm babbling about clearer,
i mainly did studies as a whole pic takes so long with a pencil crayon.Eventually i did 3 big acrylics mainly because of the time aspect,so i could sit the animal in a background,a bit sad really as those are the only painting i have done since i left school,but my childhood envolved much wildlife art.I can't draw folks though which is why i love your above drawing so much i think
Stu
I will share too ..... Art I have painted for my office.
Love the greens Jason....goes oh so well with.....Frogs !
https://www.facebook.com/dartden/

https://twitter.com/DartDen

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana".
Very cool stuff!! Stu- I'd love to see some of your work. I prefer clay work since it's much more forgiving than pencil and paint Smile
Centerpieces for my best friends baby shower that was on the 23rd-
[Image: terrariumswithbow.jpg]
The baby shower gift-
[Image: babyshowergift.jpg]

And a cake that I was asked to do for a friends birthday party tonight-
[Image: cake.jpg]
Hey Kim, damn your little clay animals are fantastic,they rock mate 8) It's ace how we all have these little areas,where we are given a little gift yet something so similar ie the lines in my case the colour in yours are areas we have to graft at.Its strange in away that you could possibly say you struggle with colour looking at those animals Kim,but i understand totally what you mean!
Jason i kinda get a sense of forboding about your landscape,it for some reason makes me think of yellowstone and that big ol crater going pop cool Stuff.whether that was your intention i don't know but its very moody to me.
Kim i'll need to get some studies into the digital domain for you,for now,here is the second of those 3 big ol' acrylics,basically the second time i took a brush out to paint wildlife since school,the first was a group of mountain gorilla,the third an orangutan.
This is around 2x3' its called china dawn its a photo from one of those transparency things,i don't have the original,its quite similar in a way to how i use pencils lots of transparent washes, overlaid on each other,only with acrylic i block the colours in first,with pencils always hard white lines
[Image: IMG_1721.jpg]
regards
Stu
I love that piece!
dreamcatcer98 Wrote:I love that piece!
thanks Kim,i got to do one of those things i was obsessed with as a kid,just for a while as an adult,
Stu

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020