Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Tinc pics - Todd S.
Have a bunch of photos Ive taken and sorted out ready to post.
A couple to get started with.
Male D. tinctorius 'Azureus'
[Image: PA010038.jpg]
Female D. tinctorius 'Bakhuis'
[Image: P9290015.jpg]
Male D. tinctorius 'Yellowback'
[Image: P9290029.jpg]

Thats it for now. Lets hear some demand for more!

Todd
Holy heffers! Thats some fat looking froggies.
"He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom" LaVey
Yes the male Azureus is fairly jolly sized LOL

That female Bakhuis will hopefully give me some good eggs soon

Todd
Wow, they seem to be starving to death, hehehe. Very plump. Great pictures. One quick question, are my eyes playing tricks on me or is the Yellow back in a tank with another tinc from a different morph?
Ulises
Hey Todd,
How bold are your Bakhuis? I think they are awesome, but have been told by a few keepers that they are very shy for tincs. Great pics too...you really need to fatten those frogs up!
Thanks,
-Field
-Field Smith
Some frogs...
Ulises, your eyes are not playing tricks on you. The 4 Yellowback males are still in the growout tub with 2 New River males.

Field, my female Bakuis is somewhere between bold and shy. The male is skittish at best.
we would both love to see more please Todd, buddy are you keeping them heavy whist they are growing trying to max the size that we were recently talking about,alongside single sex rearing,once sexable of course. stunning frogs mate!!!
Stu and Shaz
Nice, thanks for posting your pics.
Actually the only 1 of those 3 that I raised up was the male Yellowback.
The other 2 were raised to sub adult - adult from someone else
I didnt start the new grow out system until the YB were around 6-8 months old.

Todd
Dendrobates leucomelas!
[Image: PA010037.jpg]
How about a photo of Susan begging? LOL
[Image: P9290002.jpg]

Some stunted frogs I received in a trade for plants Sad They are 2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Oelemarie'
[Image: DSC00938.jpg]
[Image: DSC00936.jpg]

Todd
thanks for the reply Todd we love sue begging,our citronella follow us around the room especially the male,not seen him quite as desparate as susan yet but its adoreable how they come to the front...hmm however full they are,because we don't feed the big guys daily and the kids are fed every day we see alot of this,also from one very fat mystie,would add, great shots sir and thanks,i guess we are abit like susan..."please sir can i have some more" :roll: :lol:
Todd ,i'm not asking for names,tell me why the olarmarie are stunted what do you see,educate me ,is this irreversable?
greatfully yours
Stu
Stu I am not positive the Oelemarie are permanently stunted. Nor am I sure if it is reversible. Only time will tell.
But here is what happened

I negotiated a trade with a fellow frogger. The trade was for $100 worth of plants per frog so $200 for the 1.1 probable pair. I got to pick the individuals and the way the photos were taken I did not catch anything odd about them. I was told they were 12-14 months old. Upon receiving them I immediately phoned the guy saying they arrived safely and once again asked how old he said they were. he repeated well over a year old. I said there is NO FING WAY. I informed him my 6-7 month old Yellowbacks were bigger. He then said well they are maybe 9 months old but he said he doesnt always tag the dates thoroughly. He went on to sayt hey are definitely no less than 9 months old. I said okay.

Now its been 4 months. Theyve not grown at all aside from slightly fatter. HOWEVER... the one thought to be a female has now developed much wider toepads. We will see what happens in a year.

Anyways theres a little more to the story that Ill post when I get home tonight

Todd
A few pix for size reference. Been busy so Ill write out the rest of the info tomorrow.
Still they beautiful frogs!
[Image: DSC00695.jpg]
[Image: DSC00694.jpg]
[Image: DSC00697.jpg]
[Image: DSC00696.jpg]

For reference those pix were taken about a month ago which would have put them around 12 months of age.. if that age is accurate I fear they will never reach full potential.
Thankyou for the update Todd,agreed they are still beautiful frogs,all i guess i can do is wish you every success with them,and again thanks for sharing this info,with me ...its a very steep learning curve for us,all these little things will help broaden our knowledge,my hope for you is that they will put on some length and that they will still breed normally ie no lasting damage done,fingers crossed buddy,thanks again for the pics
regards
Stu
Hopefully. Im told that it isnt quite as important for males to reach full size for breeding. But Im concerned that if they dont reach a certain size they wont become sexually mature at all?

Heres the rest of what happened.
I received the 2 Oelemarie and placed them in a 19 qt QT tub. within 2 days they both had nose rub. 1 was fairly bad as you can see he is still recovering 4 months later. (I did treat it with triple antibiotic but that became more stressful to them so I only did it about 5 times each.)
I contacted the guy and asked more detailed info on his feeding rotations and his tank size.
I said he fed every day. They were kept in a group of 8 (slightly mixed ages) in a 30 gallon for the first 2-3 months and then moved to a 60 Gallon. When I got off the phone I called a few of my close frog friends and asked their opinion. (It was the same as mine.) Those tanks were way to big to grow out froglets in. (Yes I had a group of 10 in a 3'+tub for several months. However I fed them 3-4 times a day and I sat there and watched them eat until almost every fly was gone before I closed the tub). Now think about this ... Even if you feed every day , if all you do is dump a ton of food in and move to the next tank how do you know how much each frog is eating. In a 60 gallon those flies could scramble into hiding , up a wall, or even out of the tanks pretty quick before the frogs could eat them all. My guess is these frogs could have just been getting enough to live and grow slightly.

Just some thoughts.

Anyways more photos are on their way.

Todd
Todd S. Wrote:Hopefully. Im told that it isnt quite as important for males to reach full size for breeding. But Im concerned that if they dont reach a certain size they wont become sexually mature at all?

Heres the rest of what happened.
I received the 2 Oelemarie and placed them in a 19 qt QT tub. within 2 days they both had nose rub. 1 was fairly bad as you can see he is still recovering 4 months later. (I did treat it with triple antibiotic but that became more stressful to them so I only did it about 5 times each.)
I contacted the guy and asked more detailed info on his feeding rotations and his tank size.
I said he fed every day. They were kept in a group of 8 (slightly mixed ages) in a 30 gallon for the first 2-3 months and then moved to a 60 Gallon. When I got off the phone I called a few of my close frog friends and asked their opinion. (It was the same as mine.) Those tanks were way to big to grow out froglets in. (Yes I had a group of 10 in a 3'+tub for several months. However I fed them 3-4 times a day and I sat there and watched them eat until almost every fly was gone before I closed the tub). Now think about this ... Even if you feed every day , if all you do is dump a ton of food in and move to the next tank how do you know how much each frog is eating. In a 60 gallon those flies could scramble into hiding , up a wall, or even out of the tanks pretty quick before the frogs could eat them all. My guess is these frogs could have just been getting enough to live and grow slightly.

Just some thoughts.

Anyways more photos are on their way.

Todd
I'm gonna talk as the beginner i am Todd,but with some kinda logic behind it,and i guess always the postativeConfusedome frogs in the wild must have slim pickings,therefore,tis natures way that one day they WILL breed,they must be geared for this. Forsure we try to give them the best we can and it is gladdening to hear of the stockman in you,i see this from the above approach to your own guys,i have come across the small tank is best for kids many times,due to feeding densities,or better put density of available food.Everything i have learnt so far which is not much in the big scheme,points to tincs being,the frog with the biggest appetite,and possibly the one that our diet does not measure up too,thats why i have been so intregued by your splitting the sexes,and have quizzed you onit.I have read many times of this frog not reaching the size that they are in the wild,in captivity.It just seems to me that your approach (splitting the sexes) coupled with the best diet we can give and the quantity that they need,we are still amazed by how ravenous ours always seem,might be the answer to cracking the size discrepancy. But although i have nothing to base this on i'll still lay odds that with your care,ha if she is a she,she'll breed,maybe not quantity of eggs,but why should not the quality be there. After all the size she is now is NOT down to her genes,other factors are at play,,there is also the factor of slightly different ages reared together with tincs,and the possibility of supression betwixt siblings,still dosen't mean she wont produce stonking kids
Hmm i'll say this too also as a beginner,hell tincs don't like being moved!!!!!!!! once they are settled they are joy but i/we have tried twice now to keep them in a tub for the most basic of QT that we can impliment at presant,i would lay odds that we would have lost both males to stress,before a proper time frame could be implimented,so we got to the stage of "ok i spent ages trying to build the best viv i can for them with my ability,if something bad happens then i will chuck it and start again,rather than lose the frog " thank god we didn't experiance the nose rubs,although still worrying over the macheto(thats us i guess) but i think they like the tank . You'll win this mate!!!!!!!! 8)
bring on the photos eh
Stu
Another extra male Yellowback.
[Image: DSC01052.jpg]
My male
[Image: DSC01051.jpg]
Begging.
[Image: DSC01053.jpg]
Biohazzard and Wishbone
[Image: DSC01071.jpg]
Begonia scintillins
[Image: PA010027.jpg]
Begonia imperialis 'Black'
[Image: PA010017.jpg]
Begonia imperialis 'Broad Stripe'
[Image: PA010015.jpg]
Side by side
[Image: PA010014.jpg]
I think Im going to start propagating the Begonias soon.

Old pic of Biohazzard
[Image: P1110080-1.jpg]
What morph are Biohazzard and Wishbone? they are quite stunning.

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020