Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Soooo...I am at the local green house...
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soooo...I am at the local green house...
And I ask them if they carry any varieties of moss. I am in returned asked what do I want the moss for, I told them for my viv/terr use. And you would have thought I had moss growing out of my ears. The lady working there starts telling me how moss doesn't do well in tanks! I laughed and told her "well someone better get on the internet and tell the 100's of 1000's of people using moss in their tanks then". She replies well it's not going to live long for them. I hate when the "so called expert" has no clue or that we as viv/terr builders know more then them. None the less I found some nice moss, ferns, vines, and creepers. This place also has a great selection of CP's which I am told by the expert, like high humidity and would make great selections for a "tropical tank". I just shrugged it off and mumbled to myself that they are bog plants not tropicals (besides nepenthes)..spelling.? I was just wondering if you guys had similar stories about the so called "experts" thought it might be funny to hear about them.

Kadin

Kadin
Hi Kardin,
I actually have to go along with the 'expert" as far as not using moss in vivs. Leaf litter is a lot closer to what darts hop around in nature and give a multitude of hiding spots. Java, Riccia, and Shpagnum are not indigenous to Central or South America. Most moss available is not a true tropical moss and will not due well as ground cover if you use leaf litter. There are a few mosses that I have used as "accent" in a viv but not as true ground cover.
Darts hop around the floor and trees, plants, ect, but do not spend a lot of time hanging out on wet moss next to a riverbed. Magnolia leaves work very well in a viv . They hold up to the high humidity.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Yea, I guess I should have specified...I did mean accent not necessarily as the whole ground cover. I meant on wood, back grounds, shore lines that sort of thing. Thanks for the reply and info.

BTW my name is K-A-D-I-N LOl!
Sorry about the "r" Kadin,
Java spreads nice as an accent. Check out fish stores and/or forums. Very cheep and it goes a long way with decent light. I can't see too many mosses in a greenhouse that work well.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020