Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Species Mixing Question
I have the chance to set up a large (50-60? gal bowfront) rainforest vivarium for a university and would like to put several species in the tank if possible, but I can't find reliable information online about species mixing. Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to be able to include any dart frogs in the set up at this time because of the high level of maintenance (mainly the fruit fly issue) they would require after I am gone. I have considered newts, salamanders, red eyed tree frogs (which are unfortunately nocturnal and wouldn't add much interest to the classroom during the day), or geckos. I think at this time, I am most interested in the possibility of day geckos because they would be active and very eye catching, but I don't know if the funding will be available or if I will be able to find a nice one. I am going to put live plants, and a waterfall in the tank with a false bottom filtration system unless something else is needed by the animal(s) chosen.
If you have any suggestions at all, please let me know. I would really appreciate your input. I just want to make this tank as beautiful and interesting as possible because it is going to be in the biology department.
Thanks Very Much!
If your going to mix species you probably should stick with thumbnails and pumilio. The frogs would naturally get territorial in a 10 gallon or so,but the fact that it;s a 50-60 gallon tank they won't have enough room to really take territories. They'll all become neutral and nobody will stress out each other. If your deciding to do geckos then stay away from Tokay Geckos. They are mostly inactive and will look for a coco-hut or hollowed out log to sleep in. They also bite very hard. Try Day Geckos they are a bright green and will stay perched on branches most of the day. You should be familiar with these geckos from Geico commercials.
Day geckos would be great, but i really wouldnt bother to mix species. Id personally put around 1.3-1.4 Phelsuma klemmeri in there. Just make sure to tank into account that they will need multiple basking areas (at least 2-3), and Id create a shelf for a small dish for baby food, or you could purchase clark's diet instead - might be easier because you just add water.
Thanks very much for your input! I think that I am leaning towards getting some of the giant day geckos to put in the enclosure since they don't require fruit fly cultures. I am going to do as much research as possible and set up the cage really nice. The multiple basking spots and the ledge for the baby food dish is a great idea! I am not really familiar with the Phelsuma klemmeri, so I will definitely do some research on them as well. I definitely agree with you on the tokay geckos! My friend has kept some for several years and they haven’t tamed down much despite his handling nearly every day. They are mean little things!
Whitestripes wrote:
"If your going to mix species you probably should stick with thumbnails and pumilio. The frogs would naturally get territorial in a 10 gallon or so,but the fact that it;s a 50-60 gallon tank they won't have enough room to really take territories. They'll all become neutral and nobody will stress out each other."

Please don't mix thumbs with pums, or any different Dart species. The above is not the case. I seen aggression in 90 gal same species tanks.
I'm have no experience with geckos or RETFs but mixing Dart species will end in nothing good. I know you said you were not going for darts Cornelius , but I had the need to point out the mixed species warning.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
I second what Rich said. It might work initially or in some rare instances, but most will agree that it is more trouble than it is worth. It seems to be a very beginner idea. The longer you are in the hobby the less you would want to do such a thing. IMO
[Image: picard_oh_crap.jpg]
Brian T. Sexton
Can you mix Dendrobates auratus and Dendrobates azureus together?
Dancing frogs Wrote:[Image: picard_oh_crap.jpg]
nicky - no, you should not mix any morph or species of frogs.
Question #1
How do I cut+ paste Pickard Pic legally for future questions on mixing?

Question#2
Can I mix different Dart species?

Question #3
How many different times and ways can we ask question #2 in this same thread?

I actually want to know the answer to question #1 Brian....too funny.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Not to raise a dead thread, but I see that species mixing is a huge NO, but was wondering about the mixing of different morphs of the same species..?
Same applies for different morphs, they will crossbreed. One species, one morph, one tank.
Dont make John Luc sad, keep your morphs/species separate!
Sorry can't resist,

It's Jean-Luc

oh and is mixing species OK as long as you pass out anti species discrimination fliers around the communal coco huts?

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020