Dart Den
Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...
Dart Den

Serving the Dart Frog Community Since 2004...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swollen Frog ?
Hey guys,
Im new to the dart frog scene and have taken this hobby on in place of my extremely sucessful (and expensive) reef tank hobby. I figured if i can grow coral and rare fish I should be comfortable with dart frogs. However, I have run into a recent problem with my first dart frogs. I purchased them a few days ago from the Herpetology lab here at Bowling Green State University and have noticed one of them is swollen looking. Its body looks as if its a balloon almost.
1. what can i do!!!
2. What caused this
3. Is this normal behavior since they may be stressed due to the new environment?

also they are very small...roughly the size of a quarter i would say...
Hi Nathan,
My brother is a vet and can be contacted through the website.
Good luck.
Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is: rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476
Nathan,

Often frogs with this problem have kidney or liver problems. They either have a problem with keeping fluid were it belongs (in their veins and arteries) or cannot excrete urine appropriately. Do you know the age of the frog?

Mike
well the frogs are maybe a couple months old. however the problem seems to be taking care of itself and the frog has returned back to normal. hopefully everything stays fine from here on out
I wonder if it could have been some kind of allergic reaction? Guess you will never know.

Mike

User Panel Messages

Announcements
Announcement #1 8/1/2020
Announcement #2 8/2/2020
Announcement #3 8/6/2020